Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Masses of Military Migrants  (Read 1332 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Masses of Military Migrants
« on: October 09, 2014, 11:52:34 am »

In my typical fort, I'd say about 10-20% if my migrants have skill in some sort of weapon, either melee or crossbow. I usually stick just about every one of them into my military and still end up having to draft peasants and cheesemakers. In my current fort, however, every migrant that has arrived has had some weapon skill.

Of the 31 migrants so far:
2 x Level 1 Crossbow
7 x level 3 Crossbow
1 x level 8 Crossbow
3 x level 3 Axe
1 x level 7 Axe
6 x level 3 Hammer
4 x level 3 Mace
3 x level 3 Spear
4 x level 3 Sword

The first couple of waves I just stuck them all in the military and for once had 2/3 of my fort in the military, but the remaining 6 civilians were having a very hard time keeping the rest of the fort going. The latest wave is 19 more military, and some of them are going to have to take civilian jobs, just to keep the food and booze flowing, not to mention making weapons and armor for the rest of the crowd.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? This is on vanilla 40.13, with nothing different from other forts I've run. So I'm guessing it's something particular about the civilization in this particular embark. Maybe there has been a lot of fighting nearby lately? Any other ideas come to mind?

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Masses of Military Migrants
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 12:41:23 pm »

It happened to me. I suspect that there's war somewhere.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 01:42:58 pm »

Yeah just started my first 2014 fort and so far almost half of my immigrants are ex military (usually with no other skill, but a few have had grower and such) also a couple of them brought weapons with them. I know hunters usually bring xbows, but ive got 1 iron longsword, and an iron spear that i never produced. All local weapons are steel/silver with bronze armor right now (have enough material for steel everything after i got to the right layer, but flux isnt plentiful enough for full steel armor yet. And i have a metric butt-ton of ore for bronze, compared to my relatively limited iron ore)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 01:47:29 pm »

Yeah just started my first 2014 fort and so far almost half of my immigrants are ex military (usually with no other skill, but a few have had grower and such) also a couple of them brought weapons with them. I know hunters usually bring xbows, but ive got 1 iron longsword, and an iron spear that i never produced. All local weapons are steel/silver with bronze armor right now (have enough material for steel everything after i got to the right layer, but flux isnt plentiful enough for full steel armor yet. And i have a metric butt-ton of ore for bronze, compared to my relatively limited iron ore)

Wow, you know I've gone so long without any dwarf brought equipment that I just assumed it was removed in DF2014. No bows. No quivers. No axes or picks, just nothing at all.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:32:21 pm »

Actually, thats the thing. I got a hunter hunter who brought no xbow. And i really have no idea where this longsword came from. I just finished a batch of weapons and was outfitting my squad, and bam there in the list of weapons to choose was this iron longsword.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 10:03:47 pm »

iron longsword.

(evil laugh)

Wasn't there a bit of hidden fun in DF2012 with a sword which would show up on the list of items?  Can you verify that the sword is in your stockpiles or inside your fortress?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 10:06:22 pm »

That was candy, not iron.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 01:09:36 am »

Sorry cant verify where with was, because 1 of my dorfs picked it up all by himself when i assigned the squads but hadnt set specific weapons ( was just trying to get them in armor, then the steel weapons finished and i went for specifics and it was just there in the list being held by 1 of them)

And no its not the candy 1. Although 1 of my greatest FUN adventures in 2012 was collecting 5 of those from different places (had to keep making huge 8x8 embarks over everywhere to find em)