Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need urgent help with health screen  (Read 1432 times)

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
Need urgent help with health screen
« on: October 02, 2014, 04:09:14 am »

Hello!

My propblem is I have a large monitor, but I can't effectively follow the 7 columns of the health screen, because despite the game has sufficient space to display all of them at the same time, instead it shows empty space.

How can I view all of the columns?

Also I would like to expand the main menu, the building menu and the workshops menu, because some task are not visible, despite I have plenty of black space.

Pics included:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Need urgent help with health screen
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 04:16:54 am »

There's no way to view all columns at once AFAIK. DF's interface is ridiculously unintuitive, so you're going to notice stuff like this quite frequently. The trade menu, for example.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 05:31:54 am »

Theres workarounds for the trade screen though
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 02:53:49 pm »

DFHack's trade screen is pretty good.  I don't remember if DFHack modifies the health screen.

Dwarf Therapist might have a health tab now... I'll have to look later.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 05:01:09 pm »

DFHack's trade screen is pretty good.  I don't remember if DFHack modifies the health screen.

Dwarf Therapist might have a health tab now... I'll have to look later.

Wait... DFHack has a way to modify the trade screen?  How?  What does it change?  'cause I use dfhack and on my trade screen the lefthand column where all the good for purchase are listed is still ridiculously narrow and has all of the important text cut off so it's quite difficult to read what each item actually is without pressing [v] to look at them one by one.

I mean, DFHack does have the [q] to search function which is incredibly useful as a *workaround* for how terrible the trade screen is, but it doesn't really do anything to improve the tradescreen itself.  Am I missing something important?

--nomad_delta

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 06:51:24 pm »

Well, in DF2012, even on a big screen, my trade window was always limited to about 23 lines of items (maybe a bit less... 17?).  Even if I ran DF maximized, it was always 17 items per screen.  But in DF2014, I get 50+ lines per trade screen.  Yes, it's still a bit narrow and I haven't gone looking for why that is.

Maybe that's a Toady improvement with the increased vertical size of the list... I was thinking it was a DFHack thing.

I do wonder if [WINDOWEDX:80] can improve the width of the trade screen if I bump that up to 100.

I run my init.txt with:

Maybe DFHack only adds the "q" and "w" feature to that screen (which are wonderful).

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 06:59:02 pm »

No luck on the width of the trade screen, bumping up the window X size tag didn't change the width.  Seems like it might be hard-coded as width 80.

However, as to the original question - Dwarf Therapist has a health screen where you can see all the columns at once.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 08:31:06 pm »

The newest Dwarf Therapist has a very useful health tab. Consider using that instead of the one in the actual game.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 05:28:53 pm »

The newest Dwarf Therapist has a very useful health tab. Consider using that instead of the one in the actual game.

Thanks, works great. I also realized, that despite I don't see áll of the tabs, there is an arrow indicating if something is wrong further in other tabs.

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 06:27:41 pm »

The second screen doesn't look right to me. Do you always have the map only on half of the screen?

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 07:02:02 pm »

The second screen doesn't look right to me. Do you always have the map only on half of the screen?

It was a 1 tile wide embark tó build a bridge.