Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Staircase Building, No Dumping  (Read 961 times)

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No Staircase Building, No Dumping
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:55:35 am »

Hey guys,

I know that this has been asked before, but all suggested solutions I read up do not work ... so there it is:

I am trying to build (not dig) an up staircase. Above the tile is a dug up/down staircase. The lower tile (where the up staircase is to be built) is accessible, while the upper one with the up/down staircase isn't. Since the lower tile is in a common room of my main fortress area, every working material is available. I ordered it to be made from stone. My masons have "masonry" activated and are without job for half a season now, but won't construct that staircase. The only reason I can come up with now is the fact that there is a stone on the tile I want the staircase to be built.

So I tried to dump the stone, which doesn't work either. No dumping worked so far, to be exactly.

I have: A dwarf with the "Haul Refuse" active and without job. The stone is indoors and accessible, and obviously it is marked to be dumped. I have a garbage area designated, also indoors. My standing orders allow dwarfes to gather refuse.

So why is that stone not dumped?

Sorry, these are probably real rookie questions, but I cannot come up with any good reason for this stuff not working ...

Cheers,
Cat

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: No Staircase Building, No Dumping
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:11:43 am »

Try putting architect on for your masons as well.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:29:09 am »

Dumping is currently bugged. Use o-r menu to order gathering refuse from outside, since currently everything is outside.

This should do the trick as long as you designated garbage dump. However, mason should move stone onto adjusted square if it blocks construction site. But he won't if this item is assigned to another job. Check if construction job suspended.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 09:34:00 am »

Thank you for your quick answers!

a) Architect doesn't do the trick.

b) Ah, I remember reading about that outside/inside bug ... and yes, the stone has been moved! However, this didn't solve the mystery of the unbuilt starcase. It isn't suspended, either. I also erased and re-ordered it several times. Could do it again, though, with that stone gone now ... And no. It is still not built.

Any more ideas?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:52:56 am »

I heard about dwarves in new version refusing to work due to their personality. But plural seems unlikely.

Can they access material without staircase? (ie is stone nearby and they are above, with no other path between levels?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 10:02:44 am »

the stone on the staircase may be the one used to try and build it. Someone came along and stood on the wrong place (common room after all) and the job got suspended?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:06:24 am »

Hey guys!

No, the job never was suspended. It is always listed as "Waiting for construction", "Needs Masonry", "Construction inactive". As any other not-yet-built construction. The stone on the staircase was not the one. Actually it was some gemmy material, "rough red tourmaline", but anyway, now it is gone. And no, those masons do other stuff when I order them to. They also return to the mason's workshop if I set it to production.

One question though: "ie is stone nearby and they are above" : What do you mean, above? The tile in the z-level above the to-be-constructed up-staircase is NOT accessible. Must it be accessible?

Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Cat

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:16:11 am »

I mean, as far as I understand you want to have up staircase on the empty square, right below two-way staircase, right?

When you choose building material, is it accessible for your masons? Is it possible that you need this staircase to path towards your building material?

Incidentally, you gonna need carpenter to build them out of wood and metalsmith to build them out of metal, just in case you missed it.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 11:35:42 am »

Yeah, it sounds like the stone is only accessible from the tile above, which the dwarfs cannot reach. Such jobs will not cancel but simply wait (if necessary forever) until a path is opened. The building dialogue only checks for items that are reachable from potential building sites without caring for dwarven access; staircases can be built directly from above/below and will thus also offer all materials reachable from those tiles.

Re-designate the staircase with another item - if you've made stone blocks in your masonry shop, those are easy to tell apart from random raw stone.

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 01:04:50 pm »

Thanks for your thoughts, guys.

That was it. The staircase was to be built with slate, of which I had about a hundred lying around in my fortress - even in the room with the to-be-built staircase, three tiles next to it. Unfortunately, though, it was also one tile ABOVE it on the tile with the up/down staircase. And this one was apparently the one my masons wanted. After I chose a stone which was so far away that I was sure it was not in the single tunnel above the staircase, it was built immediately.

Thank you very much for your help!

Cheers,
Cat