Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cloth you fools! Cloth! Not thread!  (Read 430 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cloth you fools! Cloth! Not thread!
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

To keep my dwarves employed, i had tons of unskilled unemployer workers go out and collect webs, come back, and turn them into cloth, and then have them make low quality silk clothes to wear and sell. Somewhere in that process, they decided they didnt want to stop collecting webs. There tons of webs, litterally hundreds. I don't know where they came from, and i don't know if they'll ever stop appearing, but i know its going to be many years before we've collected them all assuming they arent respawning. So now, we have bins full of thread, and they keep going out to collect more webs. Sure, they do weave some of what they bring in, but the travel distance is so far, they often give up weaving half way into it, and when they return to work, they reset at "collect webs". I tried canceling the collect webs job on all of the looms, but when ever a dwarf goes to work there, he recreates the job again once he's weaved one thread into a cloth.

Is there anyway to make it so it doesn't auto-reset to collect webs, once the dwarf has completed weaving thread?

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cloth you fools! Cloth! Not thread!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 10:36:00 pm »

You could create a bunch of weave silk into thread jobs with the manager, and that might create so many that they don't need to collect webs.

Also, you could try suspending "collect webs" and they should be able to do the job after it in the queue.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

'o'rders has something about collecting webs; and, in the workshops submenu, has the thing about whether to auto-loom thread.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »

Yep just get a big red S next to the collect webs job and it will sort its self out
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 12:51:00 am »

The suspending of web collecting is a good idea, i never thought of that. Thanks.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 04:30:00 pm »

It'll just add a second "collect webs" job.

I solve similar woes by queuing 9 suspended versions of the job, and one on repeat. Since a workshop can only hold 10 orders, the one job (weave) will just go until all the thread is spun.

And yes they respawn (kinda - they are created by a cave spider...you might see one once in a while)

Speaking of which, do cave spiders still occasionally bite dwarfs with that permanent "occasionally passes out" poison? I used to love watching all my cats stop, blink a cyan X a few times, then turn around and walk back the way they came. Oh, and the weaver going lights out near the cave river in mid-late spring...hehehe

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Othob Rithol:
<STRONG>I solve similar woes by queuing 9 suspended versions of the job, and one on repeat. Since a workshop can only hold 10 orders, the one job (weave) will just go until all the thread is spun.</STRONG>

I don't see why you prefer that to just using the orders menu.