Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What happens if I don't appoint a guard captain?  (Read 1363 times)

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What happens if I don't appoint a guard captain?
« on: October 04, 2014, 12:24:34 am »

I've been avoiding dealing with Justice for as long as I can.  I don't really remember what happens if you don't appoint a guard captain. Does one eventually get forced on you like with other nobles?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What happens if I don't appoint a guard captain?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 01:54:15 am »

I don't think so. I never appoint one or a hammerer, they do more harm than good

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 07:40:53 pm »

My current fort just became a barony and I have yet to start a justice system. I was worried about the vampire infestation I had but the vamp got insta-lynched by a mob in the dining room when he tried to make a second kill.

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 08:14:39 pm »

My current fort just became a barony and I have yet to start a justice system. I was worried about the vampire infestation I had but the vamp got insta-lynched by a mob in the dining room when he tried to make a second kill.

lol... that works. I guess I won't worry about it then. 

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 12:28:33 am »

A guard captain is required to establish a fortress guard. If you don't particularly want to establish a fortress guard, nothing will happen if you ignore it.

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 10:49:48 am »

A guard captain is required to establish a fortress guard. If you don't particularly want to establish a fortress guard, nothing will happen if you ignore it.

Is there any reason to have a fortress guard... besides the extra militia squad?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 11:21:39 am »

nobles will get upset if the fortress guard doesnt punish people who are guilty of breaking export bans or failing a mandate. Other dwarfs may get upset if trouble makers don't get punished. Also, if a dwarf throws a tantrum and some punches in the dining room, you might prefer him being hauled off for a time-out in a prison cel rather than everytone getting so angry they mob him to death.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 11:55:25 am »

nobles will get upset if the fortress guard doesnt punish people who are guilty of breaking export bans or failing a mandate. Other dwarfs may get upset if trouble makers don't get punished. Also, if a dwarf throws a tantrum and some punches in the dining room, you might prefer him being hauled off for a time-out in a prison cel rather than everytone getting so angry they mob him to death.

Yeah I was thinking that was probably the only useful purpose they could serve, to save a useful dwarf from a lynch mob---or to stop one dwarf from making several others unhappy.  I suppose I could build a jail area just in case... and if any legendary crafter or fighter is ever about to get lynched over something, I can quickly appoint a guard captain then to arrest them instead.

So far, I'm at 77 dwarves and they all seem really happy though. I don't think there's any grudges. I imagine the fact they all have royal bedrooms thanks to all the engraved native gold walls everywhere is helping with that.  Maybe I can use all the gold I have to keep nobles and everyone happy enough to where the occasional unpunished failed mandate or brawl in the dining room won't have much of an effect.

Do nobles throw tantrums if enough of their mandates are failed and go unpunished?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 01:07:19 pm »

If a noble gets unhappy enough, they will definitely throw a tantrum.

I suggest planning on 1 restraint per 10-15 dwarves.  Minimum of four restraints as early as possible.  Never appoint a captain of the guard unless you have at least four restraints to deal with jail sentences due to missed mandates.

I usually make jail cells in a 5x3 layout.

Code: [Select]
FDD
FVB
.CT
FVB
FDD

F = food stockpile (prepared food only), D = drinks
C = chair, T = table (shared by both chains)
V = restraint, B = bed

The walls around that 5x3 room should be masterfully engraved.  Sometimes I will use glass windows as the walls.  The door into the room by the open tile should be a masterwork door.  Even if the dwarves can't reach the wall/door/window tile, they can stand in the tile next to it and get good thoughts from looking at it.

The table/chair can be shared between the two inmates.

Having two inmates per room can also help to prevent vampire attacks.  In the 34.x series, as long an awake dwarf could see the sleeping dwarf (hence, the presence of glass windows), the vampire would not feed on the sleeping dwarf.

And a picture...

The right side is an open-area that looks across to many other bedrooms / jail cells on the wall across the way.

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 02:57:20 pm »

If a noble gets unhappy enough, they will definitely throw a tantrum.

I suggest planning on 1 restraint per 10-15 dwarves.  Minimum of four restraints as early as possible.  Never appoint a captain of the guard unless you have at least four restraints to deal with jail sentences due to missed mandates.

I usually make jail cells in a 5x3 layout.

Code: [Select]
FDD
FVB
.CT
FVB
FDD

F = food stockpile (prepared food only), D = drinks
C = chair, T = table (shared by both chains)
V = restraint, B = bed

The walls around that 5x3 room should be masterfully engraved.  Sometimes I will use glass windows as the walls.  The door into the room by the open tile should be a masterwork door.  Even if the dwarves can't reach the wall/door/window tile, they can stand in the tile next to it and get good thoughts from looking at it.

The table/chair can be shared between the two inmates.

Having two inmates per room can also help to prevent vampire attacks.  In the 34.x series, as long an awake dwarf could see the sleeping dwarf (hence, the presence of glass windows), the vampire would not feed on the sleeping dwarf.

Thanks for the advice! I'll design a few jail cells like that in case I need them in the future.

Will a valuable restraint like a gold chain give happy thoughts?  I'm actually not sure how much material value of an object effects thoughts. Like... would a gold table and chair in the prison make them happier than a mastercrafted wood table and chair?

As for the nobles throwing tantrums... could I then appoint a guard captain to put the nobles in prison? lol  Or are they above the law?  I'm guessing they can still issue mandates and demands whether in prison or not.

This actually got me thinking... can a noble order his own punishment... like if he violates his own mandate somehow?

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 08:15:52 pm »

Anything within the 3x3 area (or directly adjacent to that 3x3 area in the case of walls / doors) can give happy thoughts to the dwarf if they look at it.  That includes the chain which many people make out of high value materials and then decorate (and the bed, table, chair).  You could put a floor hatch or statue in the open square by the door as well, for even more happy thought chances.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 09:57:03 am »

I havnt heard of a noble punishing himself. The easiest way would be to make him carry an item to the depot for trade that has an export ban. I think they always find someone else to blame for a failed production mandate. No clue if they can get a punishment for harming others in a tantrum. I generally keep my dorfs either too happy to tantrum, or too dead
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.