Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my first titan- help!  (Read 749 times)

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
my first titan- help!
« on: March 14, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

Ok, so a titan just showed up on my map. I went and looked it up in the wiki, but it wasnt very helpful. My military is pretty weak, but i think (hope, because i dont have much experience...) that i have a reasonable defence layout. The wiki said the titan would stay put until someone went close to it, but this one immediately started moving. So, what should i do? How many stone traps is it likely to go through? will it destroy walls and/or fortifications? Does two squads of marksdwarves stand a reasonable chance, if shooting from behind fortifications? or will the titan just bash through everything and kill them. Basically i want to know what you all do about them. In the meantime, i am backing up the save  :D
-Toast-_

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: my first titan- help!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »

they have never given me a problem.  I had one escape from a cage when it was being transfered into a different one, and while it badly beat up a few people, my cripple guard (brain damaged fortress guard) and a few wandering soldiers were able to take it down.  It also killed a few dogs.

Your archers behind a fortification will do fine--provided it heads that way.

You might have a real problem on your hands if the next megabeast is a bronze colossus...

igless

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »

I mob all dangerous creatures, with every single dwarf. One or two may be killed if they end up alone before the others, but mob attacks with many dwarves are deadly.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »

ok. well it went straight for my fortress. its almost there now, so lets see what happens. prolly the marksdwarves will go to sleep
-Toast-_

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »

Fight it with a lot of wrestlers, I'll get tired and die.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

Ok, BishopX, if you hear a knock on your door and see a mob of people with pitchforks and torches, don't say you didn't bring it on to yourself.

Charge!

igless

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:15:00 pm »

it fell into a channel or something and ended up in my fort, and is now running around through my stockpiles with my entire military running after it. As far as i can tell it hasnt hurt a single dwarf, but my marksdwarves are out of arrows and so arent doing much damage.
-Toast-_

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »

victory! after a few minutes it left the stockpile room and headed down a hall, where it ran through two more traps (so five stone traps total) and was cornered by 3 marksdwarves, 2 speardwarves, 2 wardogs, 2 warhorses, and a war cow (which is odd, i dont remember adding the tags to cows...). a war dog and a war horse was killed, another war horse wounded (i bet it will die) and everyone else is just fine. Except me, becaue i cant figure out how the hell it got into the fort so quick. It would have needed to go through several rows of traps, across a bridge, more traps, and then downstairs. Instead it just appeared in my supply room.
-Toast-_

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »

You have made war cows possible in yuor game. You win!  :D

Nate879

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 08:08:00 am »

When you have enough wood or metal, it's a really good idea to replace stone-fall traps with weapon traps.  Weapon traps can hold 10 weapons, which do an enormous amount of damage.  Create enormous corkscrews or other trap components and put 10 in each weapon trap.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don''t.<P>The ultimate fate of the universe.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 08:40:00 am »

Or spiked balls.  That might be better.  More organs get skewered that way.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 09:37:00 am »

ok ill do that. can weapon traps fire twice? or are they done after the first guy walks through? and are crossbows as good as corkscrews, or are they a waste of resources?
-Toast-_

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 10:24:00 am »

Weapon traps will re-arm themselves after a few seconds, I think. However, they occasionally "jam," I think, requiring a mechanic to fix it before it can slaughter again.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 12:01:00 pm »

If I were you, I'd dig a second corridor besides you main corridor, set up some cage traps in it, and open it for megabeasts (while closing your main corridor, of course. Dwarfs admire caged megabeasts. It allows you to set up a nice zoo.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!