Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forbidding gloves/pants/boots on unusual body parts  (Read 869 times)

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forbidding gloves/pants/boots on unusual body parts
« on: October 01, 2014, 10:27:57 am »

i have a number of humanoids with nonstandard GRASP, STANCE and possibly LOWERBODY parts, specifically tails - but i dont want them to be able to wear any sort of armor (but weapons) on these parts. is there a way to do this?

one of the creatures has 2 legs and a tail that can be used for either walking or grasping, the other has just a massive tail to walk on.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Forbidding gloves/pants/boots on unusual body parts
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 03:48:18 pm »

Unfortunately I don't think there is. The armor archetypes are hard coded into the game and you can't change what parts they can be worn on. Any part that has the grasp token will accept any handwear, any stance body part accepts footwear etc... You could try exempting those items from the entity definition. Or making your own ambiguous replacements that would make as much sense worn on the tail as anywhere else. Chainmail or robes/dresses will cover most body parts as they are in the vanilla game, but if these creatures are supposed to be playable in fortress mode you'll need pants and shoes anyway or they'll throw tantrums. Maybe a "body sleeve" or "tail guard" would be acceptable?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kwd1968

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 09:21:05 pm »

you can sort of...

take away leg armor and make the torso armor go down a couple steps and have foot armor go up a couple steps, this will make torso armor cover down to stance and foot armor up to torso, but so long as your tail doesn't have stance it will be naked.  Tentacle grasp is impossible to not get covered with gloves and torso armor as far as I know though.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 12:29:21 am »

You could make them unable to craft boots etc and they generally wont wear them because there are none to get, but you cant forbid on specific parts. However they will feel naked on those parts if you are playing fort mode and there are no clothes/armors who covers the specific bodypart
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 01:17:28 am »

you can sort of...

take away leg armor and make the torso armor go down a couple steps and have foot armor go up a couple steps, this will make torso armor cover down to stance and foot armor up to torso, but so long as your tail doesn't have stance it will be naked.  Tentacle grasp is impossible to not get covered with gloves and torso armor as far as I know though.

well this sounds like an idea. will they get bad thoughts from not having pants, if theyre wearing something long enough on the upper body?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 03:14:09 pm »

Yes, they will. That's why I suggested adding some custom clothes articles that make sense on your creature. Call it whatever you want, but as long as they have a lowerbody body part or stance part that doesn't have some clothing article or armor on it directly, not just covering it but connected to another part, they will throw tantrums in fort mode.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.