Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Terrifying/sinister  (Read 473 times)

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Terrifying/sinister
« on: May 11, 2008, 07:56:00 pm »

Just outta idle curiosity... just how bad are Terrifying/sinister areas?  Kinda curious to find out BEFORE sticking my arm in and pulling back a bloody stump.
Demon of Darkness

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terrifying/sinister
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:57:00 pm »

Well... Outside of mods I have never fought a monster anywhere but in an "Evil" Land. (Caves don't count)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 08:08:00 pm »

It varies a lot depending on biome. For example, I had one fort try to set down in a site that featured foul blendecs, which come in packs and did gore damage equal to what carps do. The map I'm on now just has werewolves, which are a lot more manageable (so far, anyway). Sometimes you get skeletons, which are hard. Sometimes you get zombies, which are easy (they're hard to hurt, but they're so dang slow it evens out). I say just embark and deal with whatever springs up. More fun that way!

Evil regions are definitely a good way to step up the pace if you've gotten weary of dealing with nothing but goblins. Seems like the game tries to keep at least one group of native creatures on the map at any given time, so as soon as you annihilate that zombie fox, a herd of gorillas will show up to take its place...

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 01:23:00 am »

generally speaking they are not too bad, though sometimes you will have some/all of the original 7 wiped out by aggressive undead. Once you get basic defenses in place (a wall, or doors in a cave side, or hatches over down stairs, or similar) then they are not terribly different from normal maps except that your woodcutters will die sometimes and goblin sieges are even more annoying to clean up.

The monster type creatures such as wearwolves and harpies and so on generally seem to be unimpressive, not any stronger then normal wildlife though they will chase your dwarves and kill untrained ones. Undead vary alot based on what they were in life, generally speaking though zombie creatures are weaker then the living version (they are very, very slow) and skeletal ones are stronger. Beware, undead fish CAN and WILL walk on land to get your dwarves.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 02:31:00 am »

On the flipside, I find harpies and beakdogs to be far more dangerous than undead. I am unsure why, but I am almost always able to keep the undead out; they seem to prefer to stick to the edges of my maps and are only occasionally a problem. I have allot of problems when my map has harpies; sure, they only come in twos and threes, but as soon as I kill one pack another spawns. then another. soon they overwhelm the first seven with wave after wave after wave that zero in on my wagon and win the battle of attrition by sheer weight of numbers. eventually they get lucky, and a dwarf is injured; then another. then the woodcutter\proficient axedwarf slips up and they rip out his throat; there goes the axe. both miners have yellow arm wounds. The planters are running for their lives and finally the caravan shows up; but it's only a momentary respite. soon they (and the guards they bring) will be gone, and the assaults will continue until no dwarf is standing.

Of course, ever since I stopped a pack of tuna with a single constructed wall I've viewed such impenetrable defenses as being a bit cheap and steer clear of them, so that may have some influence on my poor luck with the endless waves of harpies and beakdogs. Harpies are worse for their speed, but a large pack of beakdogs spells serious trouble if they catch sight of your starting seven.
Werewolves are kind of pathetic really, I had an untrained weaver snap ones neck in his sleep once. Flipside though, werewolves mean foul blendecs, and those bastards are mean.

Biggest problem with evil is you may or may not have a dead map. dead map means no live trees, so once you've cut them down thats it. No plants for gathering either, so if you want to do surface farming, better hope you can get the humans to bring seeds.

Fun maps overall though; if you're getting bored they provide allot more action. also, if you have a map with lots of skeletons: endless supply of bones.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 02:46:00 am »

Haunted (shows up as red/black on map) areas will have lots of undead, very few living creatures, and dead plants.  Terrifying, sinister, kinda creepy, heebie-jeebie-ish, and other evil maps will have far fewer (if any) undead, but a proliferation of evil-area critters.  The local flora will also be rather lively, so no worries there.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 04:09:00 am »

There are two kinds of evil areas. Regular evil areas contain hardly any undead but are covered almost completely in werewolves, harpies etc. Dead areas are pretty short on living enemies but often include large ammounts of undead versions of the regular wildlife amd more importantly, there are hardly any shrubs and trees don't regrow.

Evil areas are pink/purple on the map and dead areas are grey/dark red.

Exeption here are mountains and oceans, which only have 1 color scheme for both situatations(dark red and brown for oceans and purple/pink for mountains) so there is no way of finding out exept for embarking. It doesn't matter as much because neither grow trees anyway.

Evil creatures are generaly slightly stronger then wildlife but they still bleed and can be exhausted. Undead are just as strong as regular animals but they don't tire or suffer internal damage, making them alot harder to kill and they are also fully amphibiouis regardless of what they were in life. Occasionaly your dwarves will dehydrade/starve themselves to death by attempting to strangle a zombie so make sure you bring some armed people. Remember to not use spears because they stuckin alot and undead aren't affected by the crit boost.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »

Speaking of which I recently created a page on difficult biomes on the wiki-

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Difficult_Seeds

Anyone care to upload the coords of a few good seeds?

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

Plagues of ninja carp huh Rickius?

I dun think I wanna play in yer sandbox any time soon  :)

Demon of Darkness

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »

Someone on the wiki made a nice little chart of region types
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Regions#Surroundings