Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hamsters gnawing, and helmet spawns are SOMEWHERE...  (Read 419 times)

Kilngod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hamsters gnawing, and helmet spawns are SOMEWHERE...
« on: October 04, 2014, 04:12:25 pm »

What's the deal with these hamsters?! What confinements are they getting into? The game gets pauses and jerks the screen to wherever this supposed hamster had to gnaw and emerge from, but I can never see anything out of the ordinary.

Also, my farmers are cancelling their plant plump helmet jobs, 'cuz they can't find any spawn.  But in the "z" Kitchen menu, it says there's "200?" inventoried and they are not set to cook.  I don't know where they are either.  The seed stockpile is right there, but it's full of outdoor seeds I haven't figured out how to plant yet.

Any suggestions?

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hamsters gnawing, and helmet spawns are SOMEWHERE...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 04:39:40 pm »

Are you using vermin traps?  If so you need to use metal.  Also elves will bring them and they will break out of the elves traps as soon as they arrive.

The reason your farmers are having issues is because someone picked up the bag with the seeds when they went to grab 1 seed from it.  This is caused by making wine or someone eating a plump helmet.  To help solve this, make your dining areas near your farms and plump helmet spawn storage.  You should also consider another storage area for the other seeds so the spawn can be where you want them.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 06:06:49 pm »

you also might want to get a bookkeeper to get more accurate figures on your stocks. It may say 200?, but that basically means "eeeh, 200? dunno, havn't looked at it in a while, but yeah, 200 is probably ok, right?"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 07:05:47 pm »

there are some strategies to go around that job cancellation bug when seed bags are beeing hauled, best read the wiki article on it. first thing you should make sure your seed stockpile only takes seeds and doesnt have barrels enabled, as otherwise dwarves will not only block 1 bag of seeds while picking up random seeds from the dining hall, but a whole barrel full of seed bags that wont be usable by farmers meanwhile.

also you could make a feeder stockpile for seeds, such that the feeder stockpile takes seeds from everywhere and then passes them on to the actual stockpile near your farm plots, which is set to only take from links. this creates some extra hauling jobs but should make sure your farmers (almost) always have access to their precious seed bags.