Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Withering crops & rampant nudity  (Read 1438 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Withering crops & rampant nudity
« on: October 03, 2014, 04:52:44 am »

- Crops are withering in my fields, despite having something like 5 idle dwarves on average, and the setting that everyone can harvest, most of the harvesting seems to be performed by children, with only occasional adult help. I've got 4 indoor 3*3 plots and 4 outdoors, with 3 full time farmers to serve them. Should I increase the number of farmers?
- Using Dwarf Therapist's Military screen, I can see the number of dwarves with threadbare clothing. Since I discovered that, I've bought all the leather I could from the dwarven caravan, and some cloth and thread (didn't have enough trade goods to sell in the Depot for more). I've got one dwarf full time making leather gear (going to run out of leather soon, though), and I've got one clothier to produce as much as possible, but my wool and plant fiber production can't keep up. Despite this, the threadbare clothing list just keeps growing. Given the first point, increasing plant fiber production seems difficult (especially since pig tails are particular about the season, but at least the outdoor hemp is growable, but you also have the farmer seed bag fight issue when planting). There ought to be some rule of thumb for how much clothing production you need, and it ought to be possible to make do only on pig tails, since that't the only thing you've got available if you're going for an isolated underground fortress, except possibly some limited amount of leather (unless there is something usable in the caves).
- Not sure if this is intended or a bug, but I dug a staircase upwards into an aquifer, and I didn't get any warning about a wet roof. Instead, the warning came as I had dug into it (damp walls). I checked: yes, damp walls in all directions. Back off and go back down. Later I discover flooding in my fortress, and a careful check shows one of my staircase walls is sand, so the warning came too late, essentially (intentional or bug?). When I discovered the flooding I sent a quick response team of masons to block it off, only to have that fail because the last wall piece was "blocked" by 1/7 depth of water. I eventually succeeded in blocking off the water anyway, and the only flood losses are exploratory tunnels. However, I find it worrisome that any amount of water blocks the building of a wall, and it might cause trouble when I'm going to plug the breach and drain the flooded areas.
- How do I get stuff from the trade depot? Now my leathercrafter walks to the depot to pick up one piece of leather, creates an item, and then goes to pick up the next piece. I would want the goods I bought to be delivered to the appropriate stockpiles, as well as the empty bins resulting from selling their contents being returned to either the furniture stockpile, or the specialized stockpile it came from. The Trade Goods hauling task seems to only apply to getting stuff TO the depot?
- I recently atom smash executed a dwarf with a drawbridge, and then made a coffin available for use. However, since there are no remains, the coffin wasn't used, and she's come back as a ghost. I've then made the coffin into a mausoleum for her (single tile; she doesn't really deserve a grave at all, and definitely not a masterworks coffin
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
), but the ghost hasn't disappeared yet. Is it just a matter of time?

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Withering crops & rampant nudity
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 05:17:07 am »

1. Crops withering is from dwarves harvesting them and then leaving them in the farm plot. You should enable food hauling on your five average idlers or possibly enlarge your food stockpile.
2. I dunno what's happening there, since I've always clothed my forts in just plant fiber cloths. Maybe your pig tails withered away because of the above point, or you're not processing them and they're clogging up the food stockpile while your weavers just weave your bought threads. Could be anything.
3. Yeah, that's something to be careful of. You can build walls on 1/7 water, though - it's 2/7 and above that blocks it. You probably zoomed into the job cancellation after the water shifted a little bit.
4. As soon as you unpause after trading, your haulers should automatically go to the depot and haul away the stuff you traded for. The stuff you brought to the depot but didn't trade can be deselected in the "bring goods to depot" screen, or when the merchants leave the items should all be haulable. Maybe you don't have hauling of that item enabled on your haulers, or the right kind of stockpile, or your stockpiles are full. Empty bins go in furniture stockpiles until they're needed, I think.
5. If the body isn't available, you'll have to slab the ghost instead - the coffin won't work. Make a slab at the mason's, then carve it at the craftdwarf's, then build it like a coffin and the ghost should leave.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 06:32:03 am »

Thanks Authority2!

1. Food hauling is enabled on nearly everyone, and there is room in the stockpile. I still think the harvesting actually isn't scheduled/performed. There are few harvesting jobs visible in the jobs list. However, the idlers might be deemed to be too far away to be eligible for harvesting?
2. I believe you get fibers from "Process Plant" in the farmer's workshop, and I frequently schedule repeat orders for that (and Process Plants (Barrel)), but they tend to end fairly quickly due to lack of plant material, so I think it's mainly a case of 1. The threadbaredness might be a result of time catching up, since I have produced only armor earlier. Also, I've received immigrants with bare bottoms in my latest wave, so they may come with low quality clothing on arrival. Since the leatherworker and the clothier frequently produce masterworks items, it might take longer for those to wear out.
4. I've ended up with hauling jobs in three categories, wood, stone, and everything else; all of them also have burial, refuse, water, and push/pull enabled. The latter two never happen since I don't have such jobs (yet), and few die (so far). Originally I either had all hauling turned on (for Haulers), or off (dedicated workers), but I've seen tips that that generates long job lists and suboptimal scheduling. Things have improved after the change to hauler categories though.
5. Thanks, I'd never figured that one out myself!

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 06:47:32 am »

To see if the plants are in the plot or harvested and left on the plot, [k] on a tile with a plant or [t] on the plot. Unharvested plants won't show up with [k], only [t], and vice versa for harvested ones. If your plants have withered a lot, it's possible that you've run out of seeds to plant more from a point in the past where your food stockpile was full. Do you keep getting more withered plants continuously?
As far as I know, plants don't wither if you leave them growing, though. I don't think distance can make a dwarf ineligible for hauling jobs. Maybe [q]uery the stockpile and see if plants are enabled in the things it's allowed to store, and check that it's allowed to "take from anywhere". As a last resort, you could try making some more food stockpiles next to the farm plots.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 07:05:11 am »

Stop your children from harvesting your crops.  You most likely have a child walking very slowly from the stockpile to an outdoor farm with almost full pot.  (o -> h)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 01:11:42 pm »

problems that cause withering:

access/burrow issues.
not enough valid stockpile space for food
only farmers are set to harvest (orders screen), and those farmers are busy with other jobs, typically hauling.

withering means no harvesting occurred.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 03:21:19 pm »

I think I just found out some withering reason, namely a full stockpile one. I've tried to be smart and send brewable plants to a brewery stockpile, and everything else to the general one, and the brewery stockpile got full, while the general one had plenty of space. It didn't help that I didn't realize you had to actively remove storage of processed food to avoid it cluttering your brewery stockpile with turkey roasts.

Thanks for your help!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 03:51:15 pm »

clothing gets slightly worn worryingly fast. In general I only worry myself about truly worn clothing.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.