Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: partied to death  (Read 398 times)

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
partied to death
« on: March 14, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »

not as cool as it sounds.

my fort is a limited fort with only 12 dwarves, though the year is 1060, we dont let just ANYBODY come into our place

but

because i only have 12 dwarves

i find that 3 of my dwarves are wounded from sparring and need food and water.

well, i've undrafted every able bodied person to perform health care duties

only problem is, my wounded are now starving and dehydrated because EVERYONE is partying. constantly.  

is there ANY way to stop them from partying?  can i execute party throwers and teach them a lesson?  my boys are dying, i need help =/

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: partied to death
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

Don't mark your rooms as meeting halls, and use meeting zones instead (from the 'i' menu for zones).  Dwarves don't throw parties in meeting zones.  I don't know how much of the social experience is lost, though, by using zones instead of halls.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

Don't create meeting halls from Wells, Statues, Tables (Actually, I can't remember if dwarfs can party in dining rooms or not), or Cages (unless the cage-room is used for "Justice," in which case they will not hold partys there). I think there was another building type, but I can't remember what.

Note: Dwarfs will NOT party in meeting areas designated from the zones (i) menu, so if you want your dwarfs to congregate somewhere while they don't have anything better to do, that's always an option.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »

okay awesome, now i've just got to hope the latest in this long string of month-long parties will not end in tragedy like the rest

these guys sure do know how to bring the house down though ... =)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 06:54:00 pm »

They will indeed hold parties in dining rooms. I feel as if parties at "The Felsite Table" are permanently etched into my mind.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 06:55:00 pm »

not to mention the odd S&M Dabbling Fetishdwarf that holds parties exclusively at the -Iron Chain- jailhouse

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

:(

Ive never had a party!

I have dining rooms...but I never set em as meeting halls because I dont want these damn furry beasts of theirs running rampant around my fortress, pooing everywhere.  Its useless though.  Hell...I make the front door unpassable to pets, and these damn dwarves HOLD IT OPEN FOR THEM!  lol

I should just give it up.  I guess Ill make a metting hall...and then we can get to partying down!

Although....

One thing Ive noticed is that my dwarves dont freak when I have some deaths like other people on here have reported.  Ive had harpies peck children to death in a field, along with an adult or two, and Ive had a wounded wrestler die in his bed (hey, he had only one arm anyways....he was of no use to me)...and everyone remained ecstatic - even the wrestlers wife.  I think maybe an added bonus of having no parties is that they develop fewer close relationships (although a spouse should still be close right?) and therefore tantrum less when dwarves die?

Is there a downside to no parties?  Or has this not been implemented yet?

Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

NOTE => You can cancel an active party by undesignating the room that is hosting the party. it seems i have to do this whenever the human and dwarven caravans arrive, to free up my broker! (i don't care about teh elves!)

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 05:21:00 am »

You can also limit the number of dwarves who go on parties by assigning meeting halls to various people because the dwarf who organises a party only invites his friends.

In a previous fortress I had assigned a meeting hall to my Baron Consort. Every time he threw a party the only people present were his friend the legendary weaponsmith and the tax collector (go figure).