Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I stop dwarves from eating/drinking out of wrong stockpile?  (Read 880 times)

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I got a small prison set up just in case I need it eventually. I laid down some small food and drink stockpiles near the restraints and set up a table and chair.

Problem is, every dwarf in the fort seems to think this is the new dining room now.  How should I stop them from depleting the food and drink in the prison stockpile and using the prison table/chair?  I did not set this as a dining room and I didn't even know dwarves could use a table/chair for eating without designating it as a dining room first.

I tried forbidding the food and drink in the prison stockpiles and it seemed to work for the food but I noticed one rebellious dwarf drinking from the forbidden drink barrel.  I'm wondering how I would manage this if I actually had prisoners in here.  Is forbidding passage with doors the only way?

Using version 0.34
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:29:10 pm by paladin225 »

Kryxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I stop dwarves from eating/drinking out of wrong stockpile?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:09:40 pm »

The reason they are going there is it's closer for pathing.  Always put prisons way out of the way.

A few options.

1) Burrows.  Designate burrow for everyone, and don't include that area.  Kids may still go there.
Then make a burrow for the prison if you have a prisoner and jailer.

2) Forbid the door

3) Traffic restrictions.  If you make it cost too much in pathing they will go elsewhere.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 11:23:27 pm »

What I typically do is place a 2x5 stockpile of drink outside the cells in the hallway, then have that stockpile give to the individual stockpiles in each jail cell.  Do the same for prepared food barrels.

So even if a dwarf does drink/eat from the cell stockpiles, it's a short haul for some other dwarf to restock the cell from the hallway.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 12:38:52 am »

Everything that the 2 guys above me said. Especially the build it out of the way/traffic restrictions. If you build it at the end of a 20 tile long hallway and set the whole hallway to restricted, when they start looking for food to eat they'll find it more efficient to move 500 steps in any other direction than into the prison (even if they were standing just at the entrance of the hall). Also always have it so that you have a major food stockpile feeding the prison stocks. Will always make sure that prison stocks are full as long as theres some food in the feeder (which is usually the dining room, which is being fed off of the output piles which are being fed by my stills and kitchens, Yeah, spending 5 mins setting up pathways for your resources can save a HELL of a lot of time down the road. Ofcourse this should only be focused on after a fort has started to mature)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:43:12 am »

My (limited) understanding of dwarf behavior is that as soon as they are hungry/thirsty, they do a simple distance-based (not path-based) check to find the food/drink that is closest.  Only after they have decided on a goal do they do the pathing check.

So painting that 20-wide hallway in restricted - doesn't stop them from going there, it just makes it far more expensive to figure out the path to get there once they've decided.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 11:05:38 am »

My (limited) understanding of dwarf behavior is that as soon as they are hungry/thirsty, they do a simple distance-based (not path-based) check to find the food/drink that is closest.  Only after they have decided on a goal do they do the pathing check.

So painting that 20-wide hallway in restricted - doesn't stop them from going there, it just makes it far more expensive to figure out the path to get there once they've decided.

Yeah but when they try looking for the "distance" they take the restrictedness into account. Or at least thats how I thought it would work. I know that when I was setting up my dining room (has 3 stockpiles a central booze 1, and north and south food ones) When I brought a track infront the doors of the north 1 it basically ended up never losing food stock ever again, jsut getting filled up to capacity, and ignored from there.

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 01:50:19 pm »

Thanks for the answers everyone! 

Yeah, I wasn't thinking too much about stockpile pathing/distance when I set the prison up. It's right next to my central staircase and probably a bit closer to the stairs than my other food/drink stockpiles. So I guess I'll just have to move the prison.  At least I didn't smooth the stone yet.