Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do I need to carry a demon's slab with me?  (Read 3019 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Do I need to carry a demon's slab with me?
« on: October 03, 2014, 01:38:43 pm »

To use a slab with demon's name against it do I need to have it with me or it is enough to read it once found and then I can use it in future? The thing is heavy.

Also, the angelic weapons, especially maces and whips, seem rather weak against the angels who carry them - even in comparison to iron weapon of medium grade. Is it worth collecting them for eventual fortress use or not really?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need to carry a demon's slab with me?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 01:46:47 pm »

To use a slab with demon's name against it do I need to have it with me or it is enough to read it once found and then I can use it in future? The thing is heavy.

Also, the angelic weapons, especially maces and whips, seem rather weak against the angels who carry them - even in comparison to iron weapon of medium grade. Is it worth collecting them for eventual fortress use or not really?
I would imagine you only need to read it.  Carrying it is like carrying the necromancers slab around.

You dont say, light (sometimes blue) metals dont make good whips or maces?  :P
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 01:53:31 pm »

the divine material
All divine metals have high yield values of 1000000 and fracture values of 2000000, and perfect strain-at-yield values of 0. They are extremely light, at only a solid density of 1000, and have a superior max edge of 12000.

For a comparison with other material values :
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Weapon

What i don't understand is that the wiki
Overall, their material properties are much better than the corresponding values of steel, but worse than those of adamantine.

while if i compare the values given, it looks like divine material is actually better, unless there's something i'm overlooking

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 02:15:34 pm »

As for the slab, yeah, I tried it without the slab in my inventory, so I don't think you need the slab.

Besides, as pisskop said, it'd be like carrying the necromancers slab around and they're sometimes made of heavy stuff. Woe be you if you're carrying around a demon slab made of cinnabar, pitchblende, or platnium.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 04:23:55 pm »

I don't have necromancer tower in my world, so the vault slab is the first one I carry around. Well, no more!

I killed one demon before I read that I can bind it to my will after knowing it's name, but since my character has bad memory I wasn't sure how long he will remember that name ;)

As for weapons, whips seem much worse in general than I remember them from earlier versions from fortress mode, no matter material. They are good to chip bones, which in turn is good against pain-experiencing enemies, but the same effect can be achieved in other ways and I find these ways faster (my vampiric character has to do it a lot to be able to suck blood). I found only four types of angelic weapons: whips (the only type my character has some skill in), pikes, maces and blades. The last one is the one I started using, but it requires sword skill, which my character lacks yet. So far it seems on par with iron axe, so I'm not impressed.

I dislike light weapons even if they are sharp. I believe that piercing damage can be still converted into blunt one under some circumstances, and if it is true then lighter weapons can be worse even if sharper.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 04:28:41 pm »

I don't have necromancer tower in my world, so the vault slab is the first one I carry around. Well, no more!

I killed one demon before I read that I can bind it to my will after knowing it's name, but since my character has bad memory I wasn't sure how long he will remember that name ;)

As for weapons, whips seem much worse in general than I remember them from earlier versions from fortress mode, no matter material. They are good to chip bones, which in turn is good against pain-experiencing enemies, but the same effect can be achieved in other ways and I find these ways faster (my vampiric character has to do it a lot to be able to suck blood). I found only four types of angelic weapons: whips (the only type my character has some skill in), pikes, maces and blades. The last one is the one I started using, but it requires sword skill, which my character lacks yet. So far it seems on par with iron axe, so I'm not impressed.

I dislike light weapons even if they are sharp. I believe that piercing damage can be still converted into blunt one under some circumstances, and if it is true then lighter weapons can be worse even if sharper.
RE:converting damage.

That only happens when the material is unable to pierce armor/skin/w.e.  Using a wooden pear, for instance.  Wood has serious issues piercing metal, so any damage done will be converted.  Following that logic (and Im sure there is testing out there for it) a [divine metal] spear would only fail to pierce itself, another divine metal, or adamantine.  Therefore, against 99% of opponents the damage conversion is moot, unless you score a bad hit or w.e.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 10:16:27 pm »

the divine material
All divine metals have high yield values of 1000000 and fracture values of 2000000, and perfect strain-at-yield values of 0. They are extremely light, at only a solid density of 1000, and have a superior max edge of 12000.

For a comparison with other material values :
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Weapon

What i don't understand is that the wiki
Overall, their material properties are much better than the corresponding values of steel, but worse than those of adamantine.

while if i compare the values given, it looks like divine material is actually better, unless there's something i'm overlooking
There is definitely something you're overlooking, and in this case it's that adamantine has a max edge of 100,000 while divine metals only have 12,000. I also decided to check the files myself because those numbers seemed ridiculous, but they're all correct.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 09:00:19 am »

Is that a demon's slab in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?

:P
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 09:30:49 am »

Is that a demon's slab in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?

:P

The demon is a female ass twisted into humanoid form, so maybe my character will find her attractive. There's a difference to resolve though, and this is a mass difference.