Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tomb troubles  (Read 940 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Tomb troubles
« on: July 15, 2007, 06:06:00 am »

Hi!

My current fortress (population block 6) simply doesn't get out of its unicorn trouble.

So, I have created some catacombs where to store the dead foreigners (with general burial coffins). Currently, there are five occupied coffins: 1 merchant (caravan), 3 axedwarves (caravan), and 1 miner who died before I started making tombs. Except for one of the axedwarves who got killed by my second leaving-caravan-meets-unicorns incident, all these coffins are empty (used an impromptu graveyard for the initial bunch of victims).

Anyhow, I have now started creating 2x2 tombs for all my dwarves. Even as I was doing so, aforementioned second incident took place. Since the only dead was originally an axedwarf from the caravan, who finally died about 10 tiles away from my front door, I thought I was lucky - until my best miner got killed during plundering (T_T) - it was right in front of my door, next to the carpenter's workshop for crying out loud....

Anyhow, she already had a tomb designated, so she got buried there. And then they picked up three parts of her equipment and filled the tomb with them. And the rest of her equipment still lies there, in front of my front door with no one touching it, except for her pet horse who regularly visits the site of her demise.

Now, seeing the problem with the equipment, I made some stone coffers and put one of them into the miner's tomb, but the dwarves will still not put her equipment inside the coffer. Is there anything I can do about the abandoned equipment (which is shown as owned by the late dwarf)?

Hopefully, the coffers work better for the other dwarves since I put one in each of the tombs.

Deathworks

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tomb troubles
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 07:41:00 am »

Clothing will go in a cabinet.  You might try a weapon rack if her pick is also shown as owned, but I believe Toady said storage with weapon racks is currently bugged.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 11:52:00 am »

Do you have that (O)ption turned on for gathering stuff from outside? It might be applicable for your situation.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 11:47:00 pm »

By population block 6, did you mean you capped it at 6 dwarves? If not and you intend to expand your fort, i highly recommend rethinking your plan to give tombs to everyone.. you'll quickly run out of space.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 08:38:00 am »

Hi!

My estimate about the distance was a bit off. It is a bit more.

Anyhow, it may be the clothes go to cabinet issue then.

Since the fortress is doomed anyway (the trade minister arrived in 1056 and I don't have any experienced military and no traps ready, so the first goblin siege will probably be the end of the road), I made a capture of it and put it up in the map archive:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/viewmap.php?view_mapid=406

You can see the dead dwarf's equipment lying near the river straight west of the main gate.

I may try putting a cabinet in her tomb and see if that helps - provided the fortress doesn't get obliterated first (^_^;;

The tombs are in the southern part of the fortress. The problem dwarf's tomb is double-engraved all the way, it is the upper left one of the 2x2 tombs.

With population lock 6, I meant that I set the population lock in the ini-file to 6. Despite that fact, I actually had 3 commoners (besides the metal smith) immigrate in the first years, but after that, immigration really stopped. Currently, there are 12 dwarves in the fortress: 9 adult commoners (all singles), the broker, the trade minister, and a ferite representative (what the???). They live happily together with 89 untrained animals... most of which are ownerless cats (^_^;;

Deathworks

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »

In my experience armor and clothing and stuff from dead people goes into regular (approriate) stockpiles just fine.

I have coffins where the corpses are taken, but the picks , armor, weapons etc. go to stockpiles eventually.

Of course I have not tried tombs yet. I don't know how that interferes.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 05:33:00 am »

Hi!

When you create real tomb rooms and assign them to dwarves while they are still alive, their equipment will be marked as "owned by xxx" and it will be put inside their tomb.

Anyhow, I wanted to thank you all for the help. I put two cabinets into the tomb and presto! they put all the belongings of the unfortunate dwarf in there.

Since the dwarf had only her normal clothes and it wouldn't all fit into a single cabinet, I guess 2x2 is just too small for a tomb.

Interestingly enough, the dwarven merchants will be buried in general coffins (without room), but human merchants will be left outside to rot and no coffin will be dedicated to them (I continued playing and the unicorns ambushed the human caravan, slightly successful for the first time: 1 wagon destroyed and 1 human merchant killed while 7 unicorns died).

Deathworks

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 08:49:00 am »

Yup, the human merchants are considered to be foreigners, so no tombs for them. You can even retrieve their skulls and carve them into totems. Whereas the dwarven caravan comes from your own home kingdom, so if they die in your mountain they get a proper dwarven burial.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 10:24:00 am »

Tombs can leave a lot of annoying junk lying around, especially if you forget to unassign a tomb from a troublesome noble before drowning / melting him.  After the economy starts, noble and legendary dwarves start accumulating inordinate amounts of junk.  Once the dwarf dies, that junk never leaves their old rooms if their tombs aren't big enough.

Darkchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 10:56:00 pm »

put cabinets and coffers in tombs. and if they dont require a tomb, just let them get buried in a general burial chamber with a ton of coffins.