Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uninterested traders?  (Read 350 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uninterested traders?
« on: May 11, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »

Hey, just had a rather odd thing happen in my fort.

So I manage to get a 6 wagon caravan in fall with about 4 or 5 camels; I'm thinking the trading should be great. The camels get ambushed and one dies, but the guards fend off the goblins fine. The wagons were not attacked, however, and pull into my fort with no issues. After getting the message saying that the merchants are setting up their goods, 3 wagons enter the depot and the other three seem to get caught in the traffic or something. After waiting a brief period (my meeting with the liaison is only halfway done) the merchants pack up and leave quietly without giving me a chance to trade.

My depot is accessible from the north and south, but not the east and west. Do I need to have all four entryways open for the larger caravans to be able to set up shop? Or were they just belatedly fleeing the already-dissolved ambush?

Edit: Oh, I should add that this was a dwarf caravan. Also, the liaison finished the meeting and went on his merry way like nothing happened.

[ May 11, 2008: Message edited by: Dostoevsky ]

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uninterested traders?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

Usually if a caravan gets ambushed in my fortress, they just head for the hills, don't even bother unpacking...  I'm also typically accessible from only one side, but that doesn't seem to stop them.  the ambush likely just spooked em
Demon of Darkness

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

Ah. Seems a little odd that they'd go to the fort, unpack, -then- head for the hills, but I guess traders aren't the brightest ones around. Thanks.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

i agree. i had this problem for quite some time until i got my defenses and military organized, to take care of all ambush chance. every time my caravans get ambushed, they would unload and then pack up and leave. once you can control the ambushes that problem will probably go away.
-Toast-_