Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another decontamination thread  (Read 767 times)

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another decontamination thread
« on: October 03, 2014, 06:06:00 am »

Hey,

I've searched the forums for designs and advice to decontaminate my dwarves of toxins. However many threads are old and I see comments here and there saying how this or that has changed now and am feeling insecure of the current optimal and working designs. So here's another thread for that.

I recently had a forgotten beast show up from the caverns below. Its spittle seems to make crundles rot away pretty quickly. Before continuing and assigning my military on the job I wanted to be sure of a way to clean my dwarves and clean the toxins off the floor.

I've read about showers, flowing water and using pumps, grates etc. for it. However there always seems to be a mention of bugs with grates and fortifications, and about the difficulty of cleaning the gunk off the floor. There's also a mention of contaminated water itself.

The question is: should I construct a shower with a waterfall to create mist, someone said mist atomsmashes contaminants off the floor? Should I use grates on the floor, or will dwarves get pushed through them? Should I have a small hallway that has pressurized water coming into it and being drained on the other end?

I have access to a brook through the underground aqueduct I've built. I have access to a magma reservoir. I know how to build a shower and power it with a water reactor. I have a well outside.

Thanks for the help.

Two

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another decontamination thread
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 06:29:08 am »

Magma will wash away every toxin the Dwarven world knows of. Including but not limited to Dwarfs.

Grates are a fine thing, but sometimes Dwarfs will get pushed through it, however that can easily be compensated by giving them an exit from the sewers. Babies tend to be pushed through more often, so maybe this isn't even a bug.

The secret to Dwarf washing is to not dump more water on the Dwarfs than your canal system is able to purge, otherwise your fortress will get flooded. In addition try to keep the water level below 4, as otherwise the drain can be too strong for Dwarfs to handle. You can do simple math here: if 7 water levels / tick get in, then 7 water levels per tick need to get out. 7 levels distributed to 3 blocks means 2-3 levels of water per block, as water distributes about evenly.

Code: [Select]
║▼▼▼║ ← down to your hallway
║232║ ← safe water levels
║3╬4║
╠═7═╣ ← removes pressure
║4╬3║
╚╗7╔╝
▓║∩║▓ ← lever-door, just in case
▓║#║▓ ← grate to keep attackers out
▓║7║▓

The door is the most important part, it allows you to correct mistakes without flooding the fort. Make sure to build it behind the grate, so attackers will not destroy your safety device.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:36:03 am by Two »

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 07:49:51 am »

Thanks for the reply.

As I understand it, that design has grates in the floor? I wouldn't want to use grates for the reason mentioned; dwarves wash away into the sewer. Also, many threads mention that grime accumulates on top of the grates, keeping the area contaminated.

Do you know if a simple mist generator would both wash the dwarves and destroy the contaminants instantly?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 08:01:16 am »

Creatures can only be pushed through vertical (wall) grates - horizontal (floor) ones are safe in that regard.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Two

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 08:57:17 am »

Creatures can only be pushed through vertical (wall) grates - horizontal (floor) ones are safe in that regard.
Aaaand I learned something new. Thanks! ^^

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 09:24:07 am »

Thanks Quietust.

Can someone confirm mist destroys contaminants on the floor?

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 06:25:21 am »

No one?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 07:32:25 am »

Please, you're not a true dwarf if you've never !!SCIENCE!!'d before. make a mist generator and observe the results
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 03:25:41 pm »

It's pretty easy to destroy blood or other contaminant on the floor by building an actual floor over it or something similar
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.