Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coke fuel?  (Read 354 times)

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
Coke fuel?
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:02:00 pm »

well I was wondering what are the benefits of making coke fuel, I use charcoal to make it so aren't I just wasting fuel to make more fuel?

Dopefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coke fuel?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:08:00 pm »

Nope, not as such.  Burning charcoal to produce coke from bitu... Bitum...  Er... Coal of the type you find in veins produces three coke for your expenditure of one charcoal.  Lignite acts similarly, though it only produces two coke for your expenditure of one charcoal.
~Swim, Swim, Hungry.~~

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coke fuel?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »

Coke or Charcoal are needed to smelt steel; so if you're running off of magma one or the other is necessary.

Each unit of Bituminous coal and Lignite produce more fuel than is used to smelt them; therefore making coal and lignite into coke is a net gain in fuel.
The wiki lists the ammount you get per unit of coal as 3 and lignite as 2, so I guess you get a profit of 1 fuel per lignite and 2 per coal.

This is just my understanding of it though, I seem to have very poor luck when it comes to finding coal and haven't payed much attention to the exact figures; but I know you profit in the total fuel department.

Edit: My meticulous typing is, as always, my undoing!

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: GRead ]