Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting problem  (Read 533 times)

Jawarisin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting problem
« on: September 20, 2014, 07:13:53 pm »

So my hunters go out, attack rinoceros/bears, get them unconscious, make them look like porcupines, but they survive, I get this hunting cancelled: no ammunition red text. By the time the hunter's back out, the animal had time to recover and run away.

Seeing that, I decided to give them hunting dog, so I trained two dogs to be hunter dogs, assigned one to each hunter (2 hunters) but they are simply following the hunters without doing anything. They look at the hunters hit the animals, watch them empty their amunitions, and then retreat with them, without doing anything..

What's going on with the doggies?

Elitehamster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting problem
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 05:23:55 am »

How many hunters do you have?

If I'm not mistaken ammunition assigned is divided between all subjects and the default is 100 bolts. So with 1 hunter he has 100 bolts (though perhaps does not carry all at once) while 4 hunters have only 25 bolts each and 8 hunters 12.

In other words, at some point you need to up the amount of bolts allocated to hunters.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:57:26 am »

As for the dogs, hunting animals are a real hit and miss deal. All the "hunting" training does is make them stealthed so they won't scare the hunter's prey away. More often then not that they'll be way out of the dog's "attack" range.

So yeah, more bolts.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Kryxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:19:53 pm »

I doubt you'll penetrate the rhino with wooden bolts.

Use Spears.   

I'd probably cage trap them and train them myself.

Hunting dogs help spot ambushes and ambush themselves.  But they aren't like war dogs.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:12:47 am »

You can always call in your military to finish off crippled animals. Personally, I wish hunters were smart enough to carry and use a melee weapon to finish off wounded prey; pretty annoying to watch them empty a whole quiver into an already-unconscious monkey.