Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wells over a cavern  (Read 511 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wells over a cavern
« on: September 22, 2014, 06:49:17 pm »

So I'm pretty well versed in basic wells dug in from a river or pool source.  I've yet to try one over a cavern source.

It appears my cavern is five levels deep.  If I channel out in the floor above the cavern...with the well (rope and bucket) reach down five levels to the water source?  Or do I have to go in the floor above the water and build a floor there? 

If I haven't cleared the cavern...will they be able to attack my floor platform?  (If this is the way to do it?)

Or do I just channel out from the cavern like I would a river into solid stone?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wells over a cavern
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:52:34 pm »

wells can reach down quite a bit.  They're wells!

5 z levels is not much, so just do that.  The long delay in lowering and raising the bucket can be an issue with 10-20 z level wells.

Fun fact, you can have wells stacked on top of eachother drawing from the same source, provided they line up and there are no floors/walls/grates/hatches/whatever in between.  When I make a cistern to serve the fortress (that is not just using water where i happen to find it), I tend to stack the well room and the hospital on top, and have the hospital have its own wells.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 06:53:52 pm »

If you dig a channel straight down, the miner will climb straight out of the hole when it's done.

Dig a channel straight down above the cavern water
Build a well over the hole

Cross section
___[]___     fort level with [] as well
     |  |
     |  |
     |  |

w=water

wwwwwwwww
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:05:49 pm »

Awesome. Thanks.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.