Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some strange issues, can anyone illuminate?  (Read 775 times)

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some strange issues, can anyone illuminate?
« on: September 22, 2014, 01:45:09 pm »

So in my current fort, migrant waves often show up with "traders", apparently from my parent civ, who I can't control and just sit around the map upon arrival.

Secondly, goblins in combat seem to randomly lose socks and shoes, for no discernable reason. They are being attacked and fighting and such, but I would have thought they'd only lose their socks and shoes if their foot got hit or something.

Lastly, my blind cave bear has reverted to semi-wild status, which prompted an announcement, but no trainer I assign to him will go and retrain him, despite the fact that he is pastured in a training zone and we have plenty of food, and the trainers are not busy with anything else. The bear is accessible too it's not a burrow issue.

As well, I recently moved the Dwarf Fortress folder from an external hard drive containing my old laptop's hard drive to my new laptop, would that be causing any of these issues, or would it cause any other issues? Initially their seemed to be some key-input wonkeyness after the transfer, but from the second time I loaded it up and beyond the issue never returned.

Can anyone shed some light on any of these issues? Thanks in advance, your help is greatly appreciated!

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some strange issues, can anyone illuminate?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:45:57 pm »

I'm using 34.11 btw, in case that is relevant.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Some strange issues, can anyone illuminate?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:01:29 pm »

So in my current fort, migrant waves often show up with "traders", apparently from my parent civ, who I can't control and just sit around the map upon arrival.

This is a bug.  Pretty sure it was fixed in one of the early releases of 40.xx

Secondly, goblins in combat seem to randomly lose socks and shoes, for no discernable reason. They are being attacked and fighting and such, but I would have thought they'd only lose their socks and shoes if their foot got hit or something.

Sounds like you're using wrestlers.  Wrestlers have this weird tendency to rip clothing off opponents.  Once they're done assaulting the opponent with that article of clothing, they drop it and go for another.

Lastly, my blind cave bear has reverted to semi-wild status, which prompted an announcement, but no trainer I assign to him will go and retrain him, despite the fact that he is pastured in a training zone and we have plenty of food, and the trainers are not busy with anything else. The bear is accessible too it's not a burrow issue.

Training has an invisible cool-down timer.  The animal cannot be trained again until that timer resets.  It's something like 1.5 in-game months if I recall.  This is why you want to keep exotic/dangerous animals in cages until your trainers get better and your knowledge of the animal improves.  In the early days of training new animals, you'll quite often have them revert to wild and need to be tamed again.

As well, I recently moved the Dwarf Fortress folder from an external hard drive containing my old laptop's hard drive to my new laptop, would that be causing any of these issues, or would it cause any other issues? Initially their seemed to be some key-input wonkeyness after the transfer, but from the second time I loaded it up and beyond the issue never returned.

No, the drive would not have these effects.  They are normal/expected.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:06:03 pm by Tacomagic »