Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How many of you have temperature on?  (Read 2304 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many of you have temperature on?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 02:27:09 pm »

The game is CPU based.  If people have computers that are slower than others then it affects them more.

Many times Dwarf Fortress is constrained by the memory access bandwidth, not CPU speed, and running temperature calculations potentially modifies every tile, creature, and object on the map. Also, an old bug prevented object temperatures from equalizing with their container, resulting in constant recalculation.

Personally, I generally disable temperature calculations because I feel that the occasional benefits toward realism do not outweigh the constant cost of the slowdown.

Jigowah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 05:36:00 pm »

I keep temperature on and have never really noticed FPS slowdown that degraded gameplay.  I do find that once I crack into the caves  that my savegames take a longer to write, but this makes sense as there is now more data to store for the game.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 06:18:50 pm »

Some of this is version based too.  A few temperature based bugs/inefficiencies were removed in the early 40.xx.  I've peronally noticed that temperature has a significantly lower impact on FPS in the current version than in 34.11.

Most of my FPS deaths come from forgetting to periodically sterilize magma_crabs.
Pages: 1 [2]