Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Prisons, food supply, and free Urists' love of eating the prison food supply.  (Read 1818 times)

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prisons, food supply, and free Urists' love of eating the prison food supply.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 06:25:27 pm »

Except that all your wood cutter/haulers, hunters and fishers who get hungry while outside the fort will head straight for your prison food stocks.

Why not just put a snack bar in the area between the outside and the barracks?  This will give the outside folks someplace to eat & drink, and speed up snack time for those training in the barracks as well. 

Stopping a job to trek across the fortress for food and drink is a big time-waster; having the food deployed near where your important dwarves work and train means those trips are done by haulers, not legendary masons, axelords, or whatever. 

Urist McShire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prisons, food supply, and free Urists' love of eating the prison food supply.
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 09:54:48 pm »

I know that I've got a small food/booze stockpile and adjacent dining room just underneath my barracks outside of my front gates. This also allows my military dwarves to eat/resupply there while training instead of running through the whole fortress to get to the main dining hall. I plan on placing the prison several z-levels below that and locked away in a cubby hole somewhere further away on the map away from direct traffic routes to avoid dwarves from eating from it.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 11:33:45 am »

Alternatively, you could put wells and ginormous stacks of prepared meals in your prison. With 4 stacks of Turkey Egg Roast [137] within reach, a citizen taking one unit away for a snack isn't a big deal.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 11:57:46 am »

Or how about switching the circumstances, and building the prison in the main food stockpile?
I do stuff, I guess

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2014, 01:38:12 am »

thats what i did. my booze and roast stockpile is on the roof of a tower. prisoners are chained there. they fought off some vultures trying to steal.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 01:58:19 am »

FYI 0.40.12 had the following bugfix:

(*) Made caged/chained people request water/food with proper frequency

Perhaps it is no longer necessary to have prisoners feed themselves?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 02:32:08 am »

Try surrounding your prison with food stockpiles, all 26 3-dimensional surrounding areas.

This is such dwarven overkill, I can't even tell if you're serious.

It works, what other consideration is there?
Pages: 1 [2]