Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to encourage sieges?  (Read 945 times)

ZeroBubble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to encourage sieges?
« on: September 20, 2014, 09:42:26 am »

What am I missing about sieging in the new DF?

Have started ten or so decent forts now in various worlds, and they just aren't getting properly sieged. I usually get a few poxy attempts at invading which I squish easily, and then nothing. 

It's frustrating as my current fort has about 100 imaginative ways of offing intruders, and it is just sitting there doing nothing other than mincing passing wildlife. I know you can check for neighbors when picking the embark site but is there anything else?

Or am I supposed to be letting some survivors leave the map every time so they can report back to their leaders?

Help, my maps lack splatter.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to encourage sieges?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 10:42:57 am »

Make lots of wealth, give stuff to caravans

elpreda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 11:04:52 am »

Over 7 mil wealth and given profits of about 100000 to caravans. Not a single titan or megabeast and the strongest siege so far consists of 8 goblins at most, half of which are usually recruits. Large beasts and savagery set to highest.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 11:19:21 am »

You might have embarked in an area that just isn't prone to sieges. If there's some other site closer to the gobs, they'll favor that one over yours.

That and invaders are just super buggy and prone to issues.

edit:Also, titians and megabeasts won't show if your fort isn't located decently close to their lair.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:21:31 am by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:52:26 pm »

Try this..

in your save directory, in the file /raw/objects/entity_default.txt

under the heading

[ENTITY:EVIL]
   [CREATURE:GOBLIN]

change

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]
to
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:1]

and see if you don't get something more interesting, from the goblins.  For me, it changed sieges of two squads into sieges of ~90 invaders, right away.  Much better.  :D

ZeroBubble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 07:22:37 am »

Thanks for the ideas - I have 4,863,536 wealth and only 31700 offerings so that could be the problem. Ill take it to 8mill and then try the above edit.

ZeroBubble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 07:33:36 am »

You might have embarked in an area that just isn't prone to sieges.

I'm really interested in knowing how to pick sites with this in mind - I make sure that I have neighbours on the embark screen but there must be more I can do.   Will try picking a tile right next to a gobbo site next time to see if that helps.

Is there anything to set in worldgen to increase the number of gobbo sites on the map?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 09:23:52 am »

... Is there anything to set in worldgen to increase the number of gobbo sites on the map?
Yes, but this will allow any civ to increase their max to this value, within appropriate biomes for their race.

Site Cap After Civ Creation is the entry.  In pocket worlds, above 40 might be too much, but YMMV.