Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: where to get arrowheads  (Read 10317 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
where to get arrowheads
« on: September 21, 2014, 10:47:12 am »

I have this piece of shit bow and arrow

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

but while I was shooting it the arrow get stuck in a big tree. It fell down after a storm but the arrowhead didn't come down with it. There is no way to climb that tree and anyway I'm allergic to the leaves. Can you just buy arrowheads in a store or is it more efficient/cost effective to smash pointed bits of rock?

I walked up to town to a store called AUTHENTIC SURVIVOR GEAR that said "archery supplies and repair" on the door, but they didn't actually have any arrowheads, just a lot of guns and compound bows. One guy tried to sell me a walking stick that had a fake arrowhead embedded in it. I didn't buy it but it did look pretty cool.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: where to get arrowheads
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 12:28:12 pm »

I've heard good things about cutting up tin/aluminum cans and using those, along with flint-chipping and stuff.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 12:38:13 pm »

You can find plenty of online shops selling archery supplies, including arrowheads. Many have set up shop on ebay. Just go to sporting goods category and type arrowheads.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 01:57:56 pm »

Tin* arrowheads are unlikely to work particularly well, since they'd have little edge besides being thin and would tend to buckle when striking at all awkwardly. It's possible to use thick wire if you cut it carefully, but I think buying is your best option, as it seems like it would be really challenging to make a reasonable stone arrowhead.

*Tin as a term for any metal derived from thin walled containers, not just actual tin.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 02:16:12 pm »

Well, I have made some stone arrowheads (via chisel), but they're not great. I'll check out ebay. Most places selling them seem to assume you're looking for historical artifacts.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 05:28:07 pm »

Use a bit of wire to tie a nail to the end of your arrow, much easier than knapping flint and sticks into targets pretty good.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 06:02:08 pm »

That bow really is a piece of shit.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 06:06:38 pm »

That bow really is a piece of shit.

Definitely gonna make a new one after reading that. Thanks for the tips.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 06:13:56 pm »

Since I didn't describe it very well (sorry, that wasn't really mean to be advice at all at first so it isn't structured appropriately), here's the sort of shape you should be looking to end up with.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can't remember the exact reasoning behind it, but the idea is to get the right balance between how far it can bend and how much tension is released when you loose it. If the wood is too thick you can't bend it far enough to be much use, and if it's too thin it won't do anything.
I'd suggest you err on the side of caution though and leave it too thick, and prone to snapping if you draw it back too far, rather than too thin and useless. You can at least fix the former or just not draw it back as far. With the second you'd have to start over again.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 07:23:29 pm »

Why do they carve out that bit in the middle? Is that where you rest your arrow so it doesn't slide? Most bows seem to have a grip there instead. Or is it actually a grip in the picture and just looks like it's been carved out?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 07:27:42 pm »

Well that was just a picture I grabbed off the internet, but that looks like a grip that's been carved into the bow and then padded to fit a hand better. Not like that's the important bit of the picture, though. It was more for the general shape than ergonomics.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 08:43:52 pm »

Depending on which country you live in, arrowheads might be illegal. I have practiced archery as a sport for a few years here in the Netherlands. Arrowheads are strictly forbidden. You are allowed to have a bow, and sports arrows (without arrowheads), but if you are caught in posession of actual sharp arrowheads, you can face jailtime. Law distinguishes between sports gear, and lethal weapon (even though it is very possible to kill with a sports arrow lol)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 09:33:12 pm »

Depending on which country you live in, arrowheads might be illegal. I have practiced archery as a sport for a few years here in the Netherlands. Arrowheads are strictly forbidden. You are allowed to have a bow, and sports arrows (without arrowheads), but if you are caught in posession of actual sharp arrowheads, you can face jailtime. Law distinguishes between sports gear, and lethal weapon (even though it is very possible to kill with a sports arrow lol)

So if you sharpen a rock until it makes a point, and the Polis walk by, you go to jail? That seems kind of harsh...

Here (USA) the there's a lot of undiscovered Native American relics, so you can potentially get in trouble for finding a site and taking from/disturbing it willy-nilly, but you can keep a sword, a gun, and a poison arrow in your garage. Life is great.

This is probably true for any country that allows bowhunting

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 09:57:39 pm »

you can keep a sword, a gun, and a poison arrow in your garage. Life is great.
A spear gun with a bayonet on the end?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑