Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (Fixed) Masterwork Ballista with Legendary Operators still terribly inaccurate?  (Read 2180 times)

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Ballista is still terribly inaccurate despite having the best possible parts and ammunition along with Legendary operators, to have any real chance of a hit the enemy would need to be within 15-20 tiles of the Ballista itself, which means your operators will probably flee in terror. So have they always been this bad or is it a recent bug or change causing them to be very unreliable? Or is there something i am doing wrong. Are there any mods, changes etc. that i can use to make them more accurate and worth the effort of using?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

POST PATCH

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:18:04 am by Borge »

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it's an instance of this bug?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

Siege engine part quality has no effect on anything (aside from wealth), and siege operator skill level is supposed to make them fire straight but doesn't actually do anything either for ballistas - for catapults, it makes them adjust the "firing arc" (how far the boulder will fly before it hits the ground) as if the boulder was going to go straight, but it doesn't actually make the boulder fly straight, so it'll still miss.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ballista arrows are blunt weapons.

Yeah i realised this after doing some !!SCIENCE!! with caged goblins, usual injures are arms and legs being pushed into the body becoming unrecognisable, and parts exploding in gore. I make my siege ammo out of Bronze and Silver. Made a comparison with an adamantine ballista arrow and does far less damage than silver, which does the most.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:25:56 am by Borge »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

Siege engine part quality has no effect on anything (aside from wealth), and siege operator skill level is supposed to make them fire straight but doesn't actually do anything either for ballistas - for catapults, it makes them adjust the "firing arc" (how far the boulder will fly before it hits the ground) as if the boulder was going to go straight, but it doesn't actually make the boulder fly straight, so it'll still miss.
I've experienced siege engine quality and operator skill affect firing speed myself. From what I had read quality isn't supposed to affect accuracy only skill is, but I guess that's broken.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The wiki for 34.11 says operator skill and part quality affect speed and accuracy, this is wrong? Does anyone know for absolute certain what the truth is?

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hurray!!! Does this mean they're fixed? Praise Armok, and the Toady One!

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can confirm with 100% certainty 40.13 completely fixed the issue.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ALL HAIL TOADY ONE !

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile

THANK YOU TOADY!!!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

uhm, thanks Quietust?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science