Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armok save the Queen!  (Read 739 times)

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Armok save the Queen!
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:15:04 am »

"After a polite discussion with local rivals, so-and-so has claimed the position of Queen of the Lustrous Book"

So, this just happened. I haven't even gotten my first siege yet and was not at all prepared for a silk-gloved takeover. Have you guys seen something like this before?

I'm assuming this has something to do with outside events, given that the fortress is nowhere near the status of a typical mountainhome - I'm awaiting an update with the caravan.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:20:31 am by FoiledFencer »
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Re: Armok save the Queen!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 10:17:22 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 10:29:44 am »

Yup, happens fairly often.  What happened is that the current ruler of your civilzation died (probably during a hostile takeover of mountainhome) and the successor to the throne just happened to be in your fort. I've had this happen several times with various nobles.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:43:14 am »

Yup, happens fairly often.  What happened is that the current ruler of your civilzation died (probably during a hostile takeover of mountainhome) and the successor to the throne just happened to be in your fort. I've had this happen several times with various nobles.

I guess it makes sense given that this is the only dwarven fort with the exception of the mountainhome in the middle of an Age of Goblins... I guess this raises the stakes.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 01:27:34 pm »

I think you'll find that your fort is now the only dwarven fort. Your dwarf inherited the title because the mountainhome got invaded. Yes, this does raise the stakes, you might say the dwarfs are all in.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:30:45 pm »

Happened twice to me recently. Good luck meeting the room requirements so early. First time I was lucky and had a legendary engraver. The second time I installed a weapon trap with a single masterwork silver spiked ball in every room which instantly raises the quality to royal quarters. If you have a decent weaponsmith and some silver you can meet the monarch's requirements pretty easily that way. 2 exceptional spiked silver balls should work as well. Quality of the mechanisms or other furniture doesn't matter.
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 02:38:04 pm »

Dig a passage from a convenient magma supply, blocked at the entrance to the Royal bedroom by a masterwork floodgate or door, linked to a lever (built from a masterwork mechanism, of course) with a sign saying "If you're still not happy with your room, pull this lever".
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 02:54:27 pm »

I don't kill my own dwarfs for any reason, so can't speak from experience, but with inheritance actually working now, isn't "magma the queen" just about the worst advice possible? The position should just be inherited by another fort denizen; you'd have your best rooms flooded, a dwarf killed - and you'd still have a monarch.

Monarchs can survive with not-quite-sufficient rooms if they regularly make production mandates and have them fulfilled. Of course, it wouldn't be much fun in an early fort to have a monarch who keeps mandating large gems, traction benches or anvils.