Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prevent sapplings from growing?  (Read 1225 times)

jelmerm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prevent sapplings from growing?
« on: August 14, 2014, 03:04:28 pm »

Hey, I just wanted to ask if anyone found an easy way to prevent trees from growing. Every season I get few new trees just outside and inside. It is tedious to keep cutting them down, but that isn't the biggest problem.

They randomly collapse causing serious injuries to my dwarves and even killing them sometimes.

I hope this gets patched soon, but untill then maybe someone found a sollution?

thanks!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prevent sapplings from growing?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 03:21:11 pm »

Floors!

You can construct a floor over a tile to prevent sapling growth.

For doing large areas I highly recommend the paved road instead.  extra architecture step, far fewer mats.

I routinely cover as much as 50% of my surface with roading, use goblinite for epic architectural wealth and more paving mats.  Around the walls, down the wagon avenues, wherever i want a crossbow killing-ground...

Oh. and all your sewerage systems, drains, water channels etc.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:23:30 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:05:36 pm »

Oh. and all your sewerage systems, drains, water channels etc.

Uh oh. I've not noticed spore trees growing in the well cistern before now... but I can imagine that will cause me certain amounts of... difficulty. Do they grow in 7/7 water?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 04:46:44 pm »

They will start growing before you get the water there, and if the water is ever removed, they will sometimes instantly pop to whatever size they would have been if they had been growing the entire time. Or at least they used to do this. Trees have changed a lot in this version, so it might have been fixed. I haven't seen it happen in 40.X, but I haven't really had a situation where it could have.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 07:32:17 pm »

you could "pave" said areas by carving down-stairs if the look doesn't bother you, no mats needed only a miner

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 10:40:45 pm »

A dirt road will get rid of it too, and doesn't require any material investment.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 03:56:06 am »

Not sure about the dirt roads. I think dirt roads will over time degenerate to regular tiles again and then stuff can start growing on the tiles. I've seen the first few tiles of dirt road disappear within less than a season.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 06:21:54 pm »

I've definitely had dirt roads grow over. I've been paving my roads with wood. Elves don't seem to mind using them, even if they are wooden. I'll just have to hope there aren't any forest fires out there. It's traditional anyhow. Roman roads were often corduroy.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 09:14:10 pm »

You can also just designate (useless) stockpiles, though that trick is a bit exploity since it doesn't require any materials or dwarf effort.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 01:04:55 am »

I also think that Saplings won't grow into Trees if the square below them is hollow.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."