Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Empty Barrel stockpile - how to?  (Read 8805 times)

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Empty Barrel stockpile - how to?
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:03:26 pm »

I've created a furniture stockpile next to my still, that accepts Type=barrels, Material=Any, Quality=Any.  Max Barrel = 26

But my dwarves won't bring the empties back... one barrel gets dropped off and never the rest.
I know something like this worked in earlier versions.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Empty Barrel stockpile - how to?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 12:15:18 am »

Where are the empties going?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 12:33:23 am »

They're just sitting around wherever they were left, usually in the booze stockpile after somebody has finished one off.

Having the empties moved to the still's furniture stockpile helps immensely in keeping it clear how much booze is left by the size of the drinks stockpile, without even having to pause to check the stocks screen.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 01:44:31 am »

Hmm - This is my experience from a previous version, so keep that in mind.

Indeed, a stockpile for furniture, with barrels only, any material/quality is what you want - however a furniture stockpile defaults to 0 barrels, because the barrels in that setting are 'barrels for putting things in' not 'things unto them selves', so it is possible your pile does not work because the dwarves can not store a barrel into an empty barrel, and thus no storeing gets done.

Anyway - I also made use of a quantum mine cart pile.  It worked a treat, packing all my empty barrels (and pots, a separate furniture item) into the one square just nicely - maybe you could try adding a quantum piler next to the feed pile, see if it takes that one lone barrel and sweeps it into the quantum pile, letting another barrel comes in?

Anyway - try removing and redesignating the pile, this time do not set any barrel min/max for the pile, just leave it at the furniture space.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 01:51:45 am »

They're just sitting around wherever they were left, usually in the booze stockpile after somebody has finished one off.

Having the empties moved to the still's furniture stockpile helps immensely in keeping it clear how much booze is left by the size of the drinks stockpile, without even having to pause to check the stocks screen.
Try setting the booze stockpile to give to the furniture stockpile.

Or set max barrels to 0 on the furniture stockpile and see what happens.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 01:54:50 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:08:26 am »

It's the Max Barrels that'll be your problem. I use a barrel stockpile with Max Barrels on 0 and it works fine at hoovering up all the empty barrels for re-use.

As stated, Max Barrels/Bins is "Barrels & Bins available for storing other items in", like when you want to set it to 0 so your seed stockpile only uses bags to cut down on repeat hauling. It's not for storing the barrels themselves.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 03:58:30 am »

Set the empty barrel stockpile next to my still to take from drinks stockpile, and make sure max bins and barrels are set to 0 as empty barrels cannot be stored inside bins and barrels.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 07:36:34 pm »

I removed the stockpile and made a new one on the other side of the still, now its working.

I'm guessing that when I was messing around and they dropped off the one barrel for putting things in, it got stuck in that use.