Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege requirements?  (Read 762 times)

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege requirements?
« on: September 15, 2014, 09:13:14 pm »

What are the requirements to become besieged? I remember reading at some point you need a population of 80+, but just got the message "A vile force of darkness has arrived!" message at a population of 7...

Is there any way to change this, except by turning sieges off completely?
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Siege requirements?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 09:24:43 pm »

I... can't offer any help :| In.. 40.07 or so I think I was getting goblins and undead within the first couple seasons, or the first year (very shortly after the first migrants, anyway).. The undead came after the goblins and it was a full-fledged siege with over 20 undead against my totally untrained 10-12 dwarves :> They raised the drawbridge on that one :)

Right now, on my 40.11-recently-updated-to-40.12 save, this fort has far more wealth than those forts that got attacked earlier (my pathetic dwarves estimate 310,000 wealth..), and is in its third or fourth year, has had over 80 population for at least a full year, and all I've had to deal with on this playthrough is a single invasion of maybe 8 kobolds during the 2nd year..

Can't say I've seen early invasions on these last couple newer versions, but certainly did see them in some of the earlier ones.. We shall see what others have experienced, maybe we can figure something out (some wise soul will be along shortly to point us directly at the related bug report, probably, haha..)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:30:25 pm »

What version?  In like 40.11 there was a bug that if a civilization wanted to send a babysnatcher or thief, and couldn't find a babysnatcher among its historical figures, then they would bug out and send a siege.  It was fixed in 40.12 though.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:15:42 pm »

Well I have 92 dwarves, 1003682 wealth, and it's the second year. Nothing more than two baby snatchers.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 05:25:07 am »

Can confirmed the fix is working just had my first siege a few years in (40.12)
Does anyone know what i will have to change in my worldgen to make sure the goblins and kobolds have ample supply of thieves and babysnatchers?

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 05:28:51 am »

Oh, right, I'm using PeridexisErrant's DF Starter pack, which hasn't been updated for 40.12. Thank you guys, that explains it :) If I were to update to 40.12, would the bug persist on my existing saves?

Edit: Just felt like sharing my sadness. This is really unfair, I have no idea what to do, seeing as I haven't managed to get a moat of sharks yet. :c
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 05:44:04 am by TheDorf »
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".