Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Food stockpiles ignored? (With file)  (Read 522 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Food stockpiles ignored? (With file)
« on: September 12, 2014, 06:52:16 pm »

I'm trying to feed a very large fortress, I just got 62 migrants, followed by a 28 wave, so I'm a bit stretched for food. After slaughtering some livestock and having a mass harvest go, my dwarves just stopped putting the items in the food stockpile. I'm in 40.11, I don't use the stocks screen, so I haven't forbidden anything, and the stockpile is readily available with an open path. The nearby finished goods stockpile is working perfectly fine, but the adjacent food stockpile isn't. Neither is the one deeper underground, or the surface one. What am I doing wrong? All my butcheries are covered in miasma because my dwarves wont haul the food. Food hauling is enabled, and I have five idle with no job status.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 09:10:51 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Food stockpiles ignored?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 06:53:46 pm »

I'm trying to feed a very large fortress, I just got 62 migrants, followed by a 28 wave, so I'm a bit stretched for food. After slaughtering some livestock and having a mass harvest go, my dwarves just stopped putting the items in the food stockpile. I'm in 40.11, I don't use the stocks screen, so I haven't forbidden anything, and the stockpile is readily available with an open path. The nearby finished goods stockpile is working perfectly fine, but the adjacent food stockpile isn't. Neither is the one deeper underground, or the surface one. What am I doing wrong? All my butcheries are covered in miasma because my dwarves wont haul the food. Food hauling is enabled, and I have five idle with no job status.

Hard to know just from that.  If you post your save up on DFFD or dropbox, I can take a look.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food stockpiles ignored?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 09:08:03 pm »

I retired that fort, and moved on to a new one. Once again, a problem with hauling food. One empty barrel is placed in each food stockpile, and having them given links to take from a workshop doesn't do anything either. If you like the fort, feel free to use it: I have a legendary metal and stone crafter in there, plus a good amount of precious gems too. Not as much iron as I hoped for, and haven't hit any flux yet, but I'm not digging as much as normal. Hope someone can help me figure this out.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 09:11:50 pm by StagnantSoul »
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Lyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food stockpiles ignored? (With file)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 11:06:03 pm »

'o' to set orders, 'f' to tell your dwarves to gather food.   You have it set to ignore on that save.  :P

The fact that you have all labors enabled on all dwarves probably wasn't helping.  Everyone was out fishing, gathering plants, or engraving; if there had been more idlers, the lack of "store item in stockpile" jobs would have alerted you to the problem.  Once I turned those labors off on all the unskilled dwarves and allowed them to gather food, everyone rushed to the stockpiles.  Dwarves will happily spend all their time mining or fishing and never get around to jobs with a lower priority like hauling food or brewing if you let them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:09:35 pm by Lyra »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food stockpiles ignored? (With file)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 11:12:43 pm »

Oh... Thanks. I guess I'll put a few guys to pure hauling labors. Never had a problem with it before.