Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Wearables  (Read 862 times)

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding Wearables
« on: September 11, 2014, 01:31:58 pm »

I would like to replace all clothing with single-item "suits," cloth and silk. I also would like to reduce armor into chain maille suits, plate armor suits, helmets and coifs, metal and wooden shields. Lastly, I want to stop cloth from deteriorating. Would this be fairly straightforward to mod? How to start?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:34:06 pm by Dwarf_Fever »
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Wearables
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 01:39:28 pm »

A body garment can't cover heads, hands or feet, no matter how far it extends over the body. The best you can do has already been done - it's called a robe.

Garments wear out when their ARMORLEVEL is zero. It's also the only class of clothes that civilians will wear on their own.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 02:26:02 pm »

A body garment can't cover heads, hands or feet, no matter how far it extends over the body. The best you can do has already been done - it's called a robe.

Garments wear out when their ARMORLEVEL is zero. It's also the only class of clothes that civilians will wear on their own.

I see - so it seems, to satisfy clothing requirements, all that is truly needed are robes and footwear.

Presumably I can copy-paste coverage from robes into breastplate and chain mail to create "suits," and then remove everything else but helmets, hand- and footwear.

It's not really necessary, but if I remove the unneeded clothing items, will the workshops be updated with fewer options? Also, is there no way to define coverage, for instance, tell it that gauntlets are only made in pairs and thus cover both hands, etc?
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 02:52:57 pm »

You can, but consider making it a little better - use UBSTEP/LBSTEP/UPSTEP values of 2 instead of MAX. The coverage is a little bugged and sleeves that'd numerically go over the hands still leave the hands bare, but somehow still protect the fingers. This also applies to body armor and facial features and pantlegs with toes. It's super dumb, but easily avoided.

The default workshops let you make exactly what your civilization can make. If you get rid of the permissions or the garments themselves, they won't haunt the menus.

A glove is a thing that goes over a bodypart with the [GRASP] token. No ifs or buts. You could try and make your dwarf only have a single "hands" bodypart that does all the holding and a single "gauntlets" glove that goes over it, but that's going into Lovecraft territory.