Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin caravan  (Read 1922 times)

em1LL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin caravan
« on: August 24, 2014, 04:29:09 pm »

Hi all!

The goblin caravan just visited my fortress.

Why? What is it? I didn't saw it earlier.

Thanks in advance.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin caravan
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 05:55:13 pm »

Your civ is at peace with the goblins

They will send caravans (though they are usually considered to have the worst caravans value wise of any of the races).

If you want to go back to war with them, kill a few of their diplomats and caravans.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:59:25 pm »

Nope. Goblins can't send caravans because they have the babysnatcher tag

Outpost liaisons only come from your mother civ so it's just your civ that happens to have a goblin liaison.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:14:23 pm »

I remember back long time ago getting a caravan from the goblins my people were at peace with. When did it change?
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 07:20:52 pm »

Take a closer look at the civilization name - "Orminkot" is a Dwarven name, so that Goblin is your outpost liaison.

Back in 40d, Dwarven civilizations could have Elves for kings - having a Goblin be outpost liaison is nothing unusual.

I remember back long time ago getting a caravan from the goblins my people were at peace with. When did it change?

Either you were running some sort of mod, or it was an intermediate version where the "baby-snatcher means no caravans" logic was broken.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 07:22:43 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 08:43:31 pm »

On the wiki it says it is possible but nearly impossible for it to happen.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 05:37:28 am »

It's only possible if you remove the [BABYSNATCHER] tag to goblins, or add it to dwarves. Otherwise, goblins will be perpetually hostile.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 12:21:25 pm »

Nope. Goblins can't send caravans because they have the babysnatcher tag

Outpost liaisons only come from your mother civ so it's just your civ that happens to have a goblin liaison.
Nope... I had a human liaison arrive with a human caravan from a human civ, back in .34.11. Not my parent's civ.

Also, in practice, they don't send caravans nor liaisons due to the [BABYSNATCHER] tag, that's not actually the reason they don't send caravans. They don't send them because by default, goblins are hostile to all other civs, and when they are hostile, they don't send caravans. Also, they can't send caravans at all; their entity lacks the tags to make them construct caravans, although they can still send pack animals. But if you somehow manage to be at peace with them, which is virtually impossible, theoretically they would send pack animals and liasons.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:27:49 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 01:01:04 pm »

When the king arrives, he brings the liaison with him (unlike diplomats, I have a goblin diplomat, but I've never seen him and don't expect that after the king already arrived). But I don't know if kings bring goblin liaisons. That would be humiliating - to fulfil goblin's requirements :)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 04:46:27 pm »

When the king arrives, he brings the liaison with him
Back in version 0.28.181.40d, the outpost liaison became the Royal Advisor when the King migrated to your fortress. Since version 0.31.01, that doesn't happen anymore (the liaison becoming advisor, not the king migrating).

Also, in practice, they don't send caravans nor liaisons due to the [BABYSNATCHER] tag, that's not actually the reason they don't send caravans. They don't send them because by default, goblins are hostile to all other civs, and when they are hostile, they don't send caravans.
I'm pretty sure all babysnatching civilizations are permanently hostile toward non-babysnatching civilizations, so the only way you could get Goblins to be peaceful toward you would be to either make them non-babysnatchers or to make dwarves babysnatchers.

Also, they can't send caravans at all; their entity lacks the tags to make them construct caravans, although they can still send pack animals.
You're confusing caravans with wagons - caravans consist of both wagons and pack animals, but wagons won't show up if the civilization is opposed to killing plants (which should only be the case for Elves) or if it doesn't have access to any wagon-pulling creatures (and Goblins can only use wagon-pullers if they are Evil or Subterranean, since they don't get access to any domestic creatures).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:49:16 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.