Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oddest fortress deaths.  (Read 708 times)

Optio_Pootis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Oddest fortress deaths.
« on: August 24, 2014, 01:20:38 pm »

Post your odd fortress deaths here.
 Most recent one for me: I had a very successful, rich fortress called Ulebmabdung "Lemonale" (Damn place literally had gold ore embedded in multiple bedrooms) but one winter I forgot to buy up enough ale for my dorfs. They got a lil' dehydrated and one miner went bezerk.

His equipment: Copper pick.

He ended up killing all 49 dwarves inside the fortress before the winter ended. That's not where his reign of terror ended though.

I sent a reclaiming party because I figured he was done and he had moved on. The bastard was still there, instantly abandoned the attempt. Came back after that with a party full of adequate axedwarves.

He killed the whole party.

Came back AGAIN with an expert axedwarf party, and the miner's just..gone. The remains of his victims are certainly present (The skeletal remains of a dude's right leg is just sitting in my food stockpile) and we're currently hauling the mass of discarded crap back into place, mostly focusing on hauling the thousands of gold coins back.

Post below with your odd fortress deaths.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Oddest fortress deaths.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 01:52:13 pm »

That would have to be the first and second end to my themed game: Scoutsbridge.  I specifically put in a criteria that I could not assign labor to unskilled dwarves (sorta, there were a few caveats).

The embarkation place had an aquifer and, due to lack of the appropriate labor to cut down trees, I was unable to penetrate it because I had no wood or stone to make screw-pump components.  While waiting for a good immigration wave, I had a mason start a strange mood that required stone and gems, neither of which I had.  Moody dwarf goes berserk and starts killing people.  Eventually he's taken down by a peacock.  Unfortunately, because the aquifer prevented any stone collection, the mason was friends with absolutely everyone.  Tantrum spiral ensues.

During the brawl, that same peacock kills four dwarves before eventually succumbing to suffocation from damaged lungs.

Anyway, tantrum spiral goes unchecked through the population until the last dwarf inevitably bleeds to death from his wounds.

Decide to try to reclaim.  New embark, same rules.

Turns out that, once again, no wood cutter, and the migration waves don't bring any.  This turns out to be a problem since there are ghosts and no way to put them to rest.  The ghosts start out pretty benign, just hanging out in the halls and being all spooky.  Eventually, they start getting angry and vilolent.  Around the time the ghosts have killed the fifth dwarf, I begin to realize that the situation may not be salvageable.  The sixth dwarf killed happens to be a popular mason, which once again kicks off a tantrum spiral.  First time I'd ever had a fortress killed by ghosts.

Luckily, third reclaim effort went a lot better.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:25:49 pm »

Post your odd fortress deaths here.
 Most recent one for me: I had a very successful, rich fortress called Ulebmabdung "Lemonale" (Damn place literally had gold ore embedded in multiple bedrooms) but one winter I forgot to buy up enough ale for my dorfs. They got a lil' dehydrated and one miner went bezerk.

His equipment: Copper pick.

He ended up killing all 49 dwarves inside the fortress before the winter ended. That's not where his reign of terror ended though.

I sent a reclaiming party because I figured he was done and he had moved on. The bastard was still there, instantly abandoned the attempt. Came back after that with a party full of adequate axedwarves.

He killed the whole party.

Came back AGAIN with an expert axedwarf party, and the miner's just..gone. The remains of his victims are certainly present (The skeletal remains of a dude's right leg is just sitting in my food stockpile) and we're currently hauling the mass of discarded crap back into place, mostly focusing on hauling the thousands of gold coins back.

Post below with your odd fortress deaths.

Urist McJackTorrence cancels massacre: All work and no play makes Jack a dull dwarf.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 06:44:12 pm »

So I tell my woodcutter to go fell some tree.  A few seconds later, a group of heavily armed goblins arrives.

The woodcutter happens to start cutting down the tree as the group approaches.  For some reason, there was a "catastrophic collapse," maybe because the tree was on the side of a hill.  In the combat log, apparently the tree exploded into flying logs which severed both legs from my woodcutter.  The goblins were saying things like "Oh, the horror!" and such; apparently they were so traumatized by witnessing such a shocking death, they fled.  The other dwarves were traumatized, too, and it started a tantrum spiral I couldn't recover from.