Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fake or no fake... getting philosophical? oh Hello Ufo...  (Read 902 times)

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
fake or no fake... getting philosophical? oh Hello Ufo...
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:49:28 pm »

Found something rather interesting on youtubes frontpage, usually i avoid that stuff because mos of it is fake. However this caught my interest.
Some of you know those life stream videos from the ISS, well if this here is true
then one of the cam's has caught an UFO. If not then it's darn good faking of stream material.

I leave this link for you to discuss and find the fake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAsxflfMXtg

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: fake or no fake... getting philosophical? oh Hello Ufo...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:10:32 pm »

I saw the thing that appeared,  but honestly the first thing that I thought was that they were seeing aurora borealis( or australis, whatever). Only then I realized that this is what they were calling an alien spaceship .

It could be a whole host of upper atmosphere things that cause pretty lights.
Or it could be a flying saucer. but to me it doesn't look like one.

By the way, it most likely is an UFO, in the sense that it is an unidentified contact in the atmosphere.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:17:10 pm »

Judging the shape of this thing on zoom in i can promise its not natural. I am an 3D artist so body shapes are no myth for me.
This thing is artifical. The question just dings between what exactly it is.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 04:21:50 pm »

Looks like a piece of space debris to me tbh. Like a torn wing of some satellite.
._.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 04:24:55 pm »

I guess it could be reflection on some debris or satellite.
Cutting the feed is probably standard reaction whenever something strange appears, until it is analyzed.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 04:35:36 pm »

Or it could be an issue with the transmission, equipment, etc. I mean, the stream cuts out a couple frames after all, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was the case. *shrug*

Though if it is indeed a physical object... The image is pretty fuzzy and we have no sense of scale. Unless NASA releases additional footage or something along those lines, there isn't really too much to say about it. Like andrea said, it's an unidentified object in the most literal sense and it'll probably remain that way without further evidence.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 05:24:16 pm »

What bugs me about the footage is how it suddenly fades in to the frame. It didn't merely progressively light up, as if in an orbit into position, and then stopping; it faded in, as if it phased into that spot.

So, it's either doctored, or the off-worlders have technology that flips off physics.

EDIT:
No, those are jump-cuts. Causes meta-dimensional whiplash (besides the spinning, could also cause stomach aches and inevitable vomiting). Phasing is simpler and safer.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:26:45 pm by Itnetlolor »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 07:47:03 pm »

Looks like a Sprite (lightning) to me. Here's a few other pictures for reference:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If the space station was immediately over the storm it's very likely they could see a sprite without actually seeing the lightning causing it in that camera view.

Edit: And it could also potentially cause the immediate grey screen following if they were experiencing feed problems due to the electromagnetism in the air.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:55:02 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.