Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is your standard embark loadout?  (Read 3526 times)

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your standard embark loadout?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 08:39:43 pm »

I will take bituminous coal over lignite, where available, extra varieties of fish to capitalize on barrel counts, add discipline if not patching your raws while waiting on a fix from Toady, etc. This basic template is fairly standard for me. I've used turkeys in the past, but prefer the faster growth rate and nearly-equivalent meat production of the peafowl. Cats get pastured on food piles, excess gets autobutchered. I'll swap sheep for pigs if I have reason to believe I will be unable to excavate pasture space and/or establish a cavern foothold or breach-and-seal by the first autumn. Sand is for early glassmaking (disc traps or cages) and free bags.

Depends on throwing migrants into the military immediately, assumes trees at embark site, assumes you have time to make picks (eg. not a terrifying biome), etc, etc.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 09:16:05 pm »

Dwarves:
2x Miner
Rockdwarf (Mason/Mechanic)
Metaldwarf (Weaponsmith/Armorsmith)
Foodsmith (Planter/Brewer)
Wooddwarf (Woodcutter/Carpenter).  On woodless maps, this becomes a carpenter/planter or carpenter/butcher/cook since my wood will be imported.  But good beds make for happy dwarves.
Expedition Leader (Social skills) ~or~ Military Dwarf

Items:
Anvil
Underground Seeds (plenty of each, especially the edible/brewable types)
Booze (assorted)
2 picks
Some tetrahedrite
Some iron ore
A LOT of flux stone
Some logs (at least 7, more likely dumping spare embark points here) iff I'm somewhere without trees, or even without thick trees.
Some cloth and thread for early moods an medical care.
Wood axe
Sometimes basic gear for my military dwarf, if present (savage and/or evil embarks)
Maybe sand if on a sandless map?
The brains of every creature worth 2 embark points

Livestock
Breeding population of cats and dogs.  I can't really be bothered with grazers, though I'm starting to appreciate fowl.  2014 is making me reconsider how many I need for this, due to sterility, so I may drop the dogs since dog husbandry usually goes down the tubes anyway (They die heroically warning me of incoming snatcher/ambush/thief, which wandering cats could do just as well.)
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 08:13:19 pm »

Dwarves:
Miner 5, Armorsmith 5
Miner 5, Weaponsmith 5
Mason 5, Engraver 3, Architecture 1, Appraiser 1
Planter 5, Herbalist 5
Carpenter 5, Mechanic 5
Stonecrafter 2, Weaver 2, Clothier 2, Woodcrafter 2, Leathercrafter 2
Teacher 4, Armor User 2, Shield User 1, Dodger 1, Axedwarf 2

Animals:
2 sows, 1 boar
2 bitches, 1 male dog
1 tomcat

Things:
1 anvil
2 copper picks
40 booze, assorted (mostly ale)
8 of each underground seed, except dimple cup
20 food, assorted
5-10 leather, cheapest kind
5-10 cassiterite if available
5-10 native copper or malachite if available (otherwise, tetrahedrite)
5 threads
sand bags
add some logs if the embark is not forested

Start digging and plant gathering.  Dismantle the wagon once I have a meeting zone (above ground).  Set up wood furnace, smelter and forge above ground (using cassiterite as build material, after enabling it in the z->Stone menu).  Burn 3 wagon logs to charcoal.  Make bronze (1 charcoal gives 8 bars when you go directly from cassiterite + malachite/copper).  Forge 2 bronze battle axes with the other 2 charcoal.  Start chopping trees.  When migrants arrive to take up some of the work, disable Wood-cutting on the military teacher and start training, alone or with a partner.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: 1 [2]