Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I get my dwarve to use the armor I make them?  (Read 458 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
How can I get my dwarve to use the armor I make them?
« on: August 19, 2014, 06:01:52 am »

So I got a legendary armor smith though a fey mood- THANK AMROK!!!, got him some iron and steel to start making me good armor. He went to work, and pumps out exceptional 80% of the time, master worked 18%, and almost never, maybe once a year, makes something superior or under. I custom made a uniform, using two mail shirts, a helmet, greaves, high boots, gauntlets, a wooden shield, a steel weapon, three hoods/cloaks, mittens, socks, and a cape. All this was provided by my good friends, the legendary leather worker, carpenter, armor smith, and weapon smith. Amrok must love me. EXCEPT FOR the fact that my dwarves continue to wear full civilian clothes instead of the uniform. I set the uniform to replace clothing before I made the squad, and set it to that specific uniform when I made it. I have more than enough of all the requirements, since my defense was trap and ballista based for about five years game time, and the forges and shops have been pumping things out for about three and a half constantly. The soldiers pick up a wooden shield and a steel weapon of their choice, put on a helmet, and go on to the station I ordered them to, or to kill the giant badger who just hurt a farmer, or slaughter the filthy hippies give a firm beating to the elven traders. They never wear any armor, other than their civilian clothes. I thought maybe forbidding their clothes would work, but it didn't. Telling them to dump them didn't work either. They have an obvious path to the armor stock pile, they went there for their shields. But they refuse to wear any clothes they weren't already wearing. They barely managed to hold off a small ambush of copper armed goblins, and I lost four of them. So then I assigned four more that came from a new migrant wave. They too picked up a shield and a steel weapon, and ignored armor. How do I get them to wear armor? My other fortresses don't have this problem, I don't know what I've done wrong. Any help is appreciated, unless it involves being friendly to elves.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How can I get my dwarve to use the armor I make them?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 06:25:37 am »

You didn't accidently forbid the armor did you?
Also do your dwarves have a barracks? I am not sure if that helps but my military always has a barracks and it works flawlessly.

Maybe if you want, you can upload your save file somewhere and I or someone else can take a look at it.

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:21:00 am »

So I got a legendary armor smith though a fey mood- THANK AMROK!!!, got him some iron and steel to start making me good armor. He went to work, and pumps out exceptional 80% of the time, master worked 18%, and almost never, maybe once a year, makes something superior or under. I custom made a uniform, using two mail shirts, a helmet, greaves, high boots, gauntlets, a wooden shield, a steel weapon, three hoods/cloaks, mittens, socks, and a cape. All this was provided by my good friends, the legendary leather worker, carpenter, armor smith, and weapon smith. Amrok must love me. EXCEPT FOR the fact that my dwarves continue to wear full civilian clothes instead of the uniform. I set the uniform to replace clothing before I made the squad, and set it to that specific uniform when I made it. I have more than enough of all the requirements, since my defense was trap and ballista based for about five years game time, and the forges and shops have been pumping things out for about three and a half constantly. The soldiers pick up a wooden shield and a steel weapon of their choice, put on a helmet, and go on to the station I ordered them to, or to kill the giant badger who just hurt a farmer, or slaughter the filthy hippies give a firm beating to the elven traders. They never wear any armor, other than their civilian clothes. I thought maybe forbidding their clothes would work, but it didn't. Telling them to dump them didn't work either. They have an obvious path to the armor stock pile, they went there for their shields. But they refuse to wear any clothes they weren't already wearing. They barely managed to hold off a small ambush of copper armed goblins, and I lost four of them. So then I assigned four more that came from a new migrant wave. They too picked up a shield and a steel weapon, and ignored armor. How do I get them to wear armor? My other fortresses don't have this problem, I don't know what I've done wrong. Any help is appreciated, unless it involves being friendly to elves.

Will they wear ANY armor or just the ones you are talking about

I know the uniform part of the military screen was the most annoying for me to get used to

You have to create a squad
You have to put your members in your squad
You have to create armor (and make sure you aren't restricting it based on material)
You have to assign the armor to the squad (and not just individual members)
You have to activate the squad
+ many other things i am not immediately remembering

Its so many steps that missing one is likely to have got stuck along the way

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 01:03:56 pm »

Is the squad set to active? A few of the times my squad had uniform troubles once I assigned them to a station they put some armor on before going to the station. Aside from that, Are all of them putting on a helmet?  When you first describe their equipment you say they put on a helmet, but with the migrants there's no mention of a helmet. Also a minor thing, soldiers can wear three mail shirts and a brestplate for chest armor, though it is quite heavy until they get a better armor user skill, the breastplate at least would probably be a good upgrade to your armor.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 02:59:31 pm »

Will they wear ANY armor or just the ones you are talking about

I know the uniform part of the military screen was the most annoying for me to get used to

You have to create a squad
You have to put your members in your squad
You have to create armor (and make sure you aren't restricting it based on material)
You have to assign the armor to the squad (and not just individual members)
You have to activate the squad
+ many other things i am not immediately remembering

Its so many steps that missing one is likely to have got stuck along the way
I checked it out, and they're all wearing imported bronze and copper covered in spikes of stuff. Apparently, my dwarves don't like iron.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 03:02:32 pm »

You didn't accidently forbid the armor did you?
Also do your dwarves have a barracks? I am not sure if that helps but my military always has a barracks and it works flawlessly.

Maybe if you want, you can upload your save file somewhere and I or someone else can take a look at it.
They had a barracks, but it was just a chest and four beds. When I tossed in an armorstand, they started to put their uniforms on it and wear them when active. Problem solved! Thanks.