Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampires  (Read 324 times)

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampires
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:38:03 am »

So, I found 2 vampires in my latest fort (arriving separately).
I was a bit cheesy with routing them out as I had about 150 dwarves and was in a bit of a power gamy mode so I just did a snapshot of names on both the game and therapist, found the one that had just done the dirty and confirmed it with DF Hack.

So i arrested the first vampire and all he got was 200 days!
Where is the summary execution? I had a hammerer setup but I didn't equip him, yet I was still expecting there to be a beating.

So my solution was just to lock him up and lock the door.
... only to have him become my mayor (lol)

Next guy, I found him under similar circumstances and locked him up (he got a similar sentence).

Fast forward a year and I get an invasion. I burrow my guys and set an alert, they all pile into the safe-room and I lock the doors, phew.
Then I get a message saying someone is found drained of blood. I check DFHack and it says I only have 2 vampires. I check my cells and .. oops, i left the door unlocked for my 2nd Vamp and he just left after his time was up.

Funny thing, since the Vamp decided to commit the crime in the burrow room which was quite tight packed, the Justice tab told me it was him because there was like 50 witnesses... silly little Vampire (lol)

So lots of fun... I just wonder, how do others deal with Vampires.
Since the game seems to just want to give them jail time, when they get out they are going to go back to action.

Is it fair to just lock them up and throw away the key?
Does anyone try to kill them, and if so what is the most effective solution (rather than the obvious atomsmasher?)?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:01:00 am »

I let them operate freely as long as they stay inside the bedless burrow I handily provided them. Vampires don't take breaks to eat, drink, or sleep so they make fantastic guards and thief-spotters. What's it to me if a random peon decides to fall asleep in the hall rather than head to one of the dormitories? Plus, having a death-zone handy makes for a convenient way to get rid of the more unstable members of the population and thus increase fortress net-happiness, I just have to assign them to keep Urist McBitey company until they decide to take a nap.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:43:18 am »

Love the idea of having them as a story-way to get rid of nobles/undesirables

Also, love the idea of chaining them up outside to watch for thieves

Great thanks