Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grazer question  (Read 706 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Grazer question
« on: August 16, 2014, 07:15:29 am »

I am just barely managing to keep my water buffaloes fed, by rotating them around pastures.
Now, one of my dwarves really likes water buffaloes.

If I unpasture one, and let him have it as a pet, will it feed itself from anywhere it can walk to freely, or is a pasture specifically required to graze?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Grazer question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:21:32 am »

It still needs to be pastured.
Untill we get feed, large grazers just a drag.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 07:38:13 am »

Think I'm getting rid of the water buffaloes in that case. They're amongst the top ranking heavy eaters. Such a drag indeed, to keep them from starving.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 09:35:29 am »

Yaks are also crap. You can have a whole leather, cheese and meat industry on goats because they breed a lot and eat barely anything

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 01:55:15 pm »

If I unpasture one, and let him have it as a pet, will it feed itself from anywhere it can walk to freely

Sadly, the only thing more stupid than a Dwarf is an animal.  Un-pastured animals will congregate at your meeting zones, sculpture gardens, etc.  Anywhere that idle dwarves will go, that's where free-range animals will go.  This happens even if the sculpture garden has no grass (or even soil or mud) in it.  The animals will hang out there, getting hungrier and hungrier, until they die.  They literally won't go to where they've eaten grass in the past to save their own lives.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 03:18:41 am »

No, pet owners take care of feeding their pets.  However a water buffalo will not eat meat-based foods, so you'll need some plants around to feed the water buffalo.  This is the only way to keep the extreme grazers alive, actually.  Elephants actually require more grass than they have time to eat to stay alive.  If they are adopted as pets, the owner will feed them enough.  The ones that migrant onto your map are either not bound by these rules, or move off the map before starving.