Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a ASCII graphic editor  (Read 1630 times)

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
Looking for a ASCII graphic editor
« on: August 03, 2014, 04:27:39 am »

Hey guys,

I am currently trying to create some hand-made DF-looking maps. For this, I'm looking for a ASCII-graphic editor.
Thing is, most of those have limitations that really bother me :
 - I need to be able to use a 8x12 font
 - I need to be able to use specific colors
 - I need to able to create lage images (minimum is width 200x100 characters :1600x1200 pixels)
 - with images this big, I'd prefer to be able to use some brush tool because I don't want to spend hours writign the 20 000 characters...
 - I need it to be free, or with a 7+ days trial period

I've tested some editors (REXPaint, PabloDraw, ASCII Art Studio), but those don't fit. Do you guys know any software that would do it ?

I'm asking because I'm more and more tempted to use a more standard software (Paint.Net/Gimp/photoshop) with simple layers, as they seem to be the only ones which would handle image size/color correctly...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a ASCII graphic editor
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 05:11:04 am »

Back in the day, ACiDDraw was the go to ansi editor. You might try that. Quick google checks confirms that it has mouse support and can handle files up to 1000 lines.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 05:11:16 am »

advASCIIdraw. I think it fits most of your criteria.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 05:33:57 am »

AdvASCIIdraw seems really good for what I want, thanks.
There are a few weird things (drawing with a single char/color doesn't let you have multiple colors to select from where there is space for it), but it should be good enough ^^"

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 10:44:51 am »

1+ to advASCIIdraw.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 11:23:58 am »

It doesn't save the customized colors. :(
I'm loosing 20 minutes each time I start it to set the different colors right so that my wastelands are white, my forest green, and my swamps brown so that it can make them grey and purple the next time I launch it :/
And it can't associate a color to a char preset. Nor can it handle a simple ctrl+Z.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 09:52:43 pm »

Nor can it handle a simple ctrl+Z.

Try shift+insert. Ctrl-z is a (relatively) late implementation windowism.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 11:34:43 am »

ctrl+z is undo. Shift+insert is paste. Those aren't the same thing.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 06:32:37 am »

REXpaint is pretty good.
http://rexpaint.blogspot.com.au/
I'm not sure if it will fit you, but it is pretty good.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 06:59:30 am »

Hey tompliss, what else do you need that REXPaint doesn't already do? Seems like the only thing missing from your requirements is a brush tool, which I believe you can get around fairly easily by using filled rectangles/ellipses, or various lines to define your areas followed by the fill tool.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 01:38:07 pm »

I didn't manage to create an image larger than the default settigns in REXPaint.

I managed to do what I wanted to advASCIIdraw, however. The brush momerizing tool helped me a lot, even though I didn't think I would have used it at first (selecting "mountain" is easier thant lookign for the mountain sprite and the mountain color, and I even used the "20% that character 80% this one" thingy).

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 05:08:30 pm »

I didn't manage to create an image larger than the default settigns in REXPaint.
Hm, you just have to click the Resize button, or press ctrl-r, and you can make the image as large or small as you want. I regularly use very large images as spritesheets for my games. Note that this is different from changing the canvas view size, which is handled in the config file and changes how large an image area you can see at once (equivalent to resizing the window itself, not the image).
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 01:18:36 am »

That's what I thought, but the resize button only worked when I resized for smaller images. And as the default size uses the usual limitation of the standard unix console, I figured there would be a limit on the width because of that ^^'

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 04:12:38 am »

Nah, it works for any size. It just doesn't resize the window--only images themselves. It's like PS or any other drawing program in that you can drag/scroll around in an image which is larger than the viewable area. If you have a large enough monitor (or want to use a small font), by all means make the viewable area bigger in the config file as well!