Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is playing with ASCII slower than playing with graphics?  (Read 1142 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Why is playing with ASCII slower than playing with graphics?
« on: August 22, 2014, 06:19:34 pm »

I have noticed, going back to 40d, that when I play on ASCII, it's slower than molasses in January, and I don't mean the framerate.  Everything just moves slower, including time.  I could die and fossilize in the time it took today to build a trade depot.  Recalling my previous experiences, I started using graphics.  Time is way sped up, and my dorfs zoom all over the place like meth heads hopped up on Red Bull.

(today seems to be a bad simile day)

Anyway, has anyone else ever noticed this? It's the main reason I don't do ASCII.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is playing with ASCII slower than playing with graphics?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 06:27:24 pm »

If you're running in a fullscreen or maximized window, ASCII does have to display more tiles. What's your PRINT_MODE?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 06:43:51 pm »

If you're running in a fullscreen or maximized window, ASCII does have to display more tiles. What's your PRINT_MODE?

Makes sense, I did have it in a minimized window. 

How do I check that?  never have before.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 07:20:54 pm »

[PRINT_MODE:x] in DF/data/init/init.txt
I recommend decreasing G_FPS_CAP (in the same file) if you're experiencing issues with larger screen grid sizes - the default is 50, but I usually don't notice a difference when it's set to 20-25.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 01:24:22 pm »

[PRINT_MODE:x] in DF/data/init/init.txt
I recommend decreasing G_FPS_CAP (in the same file) if you're experiencing issues with larger screen grid sizes - the default is 50, but I usually don't notice a difference when it's set to 20-25.

thanks!  Will give it a go.

My print mode says [PRINT_MODE:2D]
   Mode examples:
    PRINT_MODE:2D
    PRINT_MODE:TEXT
    PRINT_MODE:FRAME_BUFFER
    PRINT_MODE:PARTIAL:0
[SINGLE_BUFFER:NO]