Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I got a queen in my first year, what's up with that?  (Read 616 times)

OskarS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I got a queen in my first year, what's up with that?
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:21:40 am »

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forums, I hope I'm not doing anything wrong.

I'm a relatively new Dwarf Fortress player, picking it up again with 0.40 after about a year's absence (this is only my fourth or fifth fortress, and I abandoned the other ones fairly quickly). I started a new fortress, and before even a year was out, a queen arrived (it was the second migration wave). I didn't even notice it until a while later, when my nobles screen showed that I had a "king" (that should really be called "monarch", shouldn't it?) and I went to the wiki to find out what that was all about. As I understand it, getting a monarch is a very late-game thing, and it's really difficult to get. But mine just showed up, in the autumn just as I was getting started. What's that all about?

The only thing I can think of is that when the first caravan arrived, I got the "There's no outpost liaison, how curious" message, and I haven't been able to make an import/export agreement. I googled a bit and someone speculated that the reason for that is that the original civilization had been wiped out. Is that why I got the queen? Am I now "Mountainhomes"? That's a lot of pressure...

Also: what am I supposed to do here? Like, my queen doesn't have a throne room, throne bedroom or any of the eighteen other things they seem to need. She's currently operating out of a four-tile office and a five-tile bedroom, and she's not very happy about it (she's my only dwarf listed as "Unhappy" in Dwarf Therapist). If I don't quickly satisfy all her requirements, will she go insane and start killing everyone? Make weird decrees that Mondays are now "Queen's day"? She's already started decreeing that I can't export beds, but that's fine.

I tried some googling about this, but couldn't find any info. Anyone know what's going on?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 11:49:21 am by OskarS »

Sylterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I got a queen in my first year, what's up with that?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 11:47:17 am »

Your civilization was extinct, so a random dwarf was promoted to be Queen/King.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:08:56 pm »

She's the queen, so you should try to make her happy. Or she can have a nasty accident. It's up to you.

OskarS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 05:07:36 pm »

Well, I built her all the rooms she needed and crammed them full of gold stuff, so she's happy now. I figure that it can't be long until people come wanting to take all my cool gold furniture, but hey, it's all in good fun.