Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Players "Why are you Hooked?"  (Read 2257 times)

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: New Players "Why are you Hooked?"
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 09:12:54 pm »

Things are going great so far got over 48 dwarfs all working away. Love this game but still stuck on some of the workshops and also need to work on organization. I am choking on stone, wood, raw fish lol. Anyone have any good you tube videos on DF that walk you though some basic building tactics etc??? Also any good ideas on putting supply areas in because it seems that most are covering the entire cave floor since I don't think putting them outside is a good idea. Any suggestions or ideas that would be great. Also please let me know how to insert pictures into my posts. Would love to show you my build so you all can help me out.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 09:32:17 pm »

I started playing because I wanted to accept the challenge of learning how to play and was hooked after I discovered the depth and complexity at work in the game.

Not only this, but it's something unique to me. Most people I know who know what DF is respect it for its depth and look up to me for being able to play it so proficiently.

Also axelords are nice too.

Edit: I'm not actually new, I've been at it for like two years now lol
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Dyrxaend

• Bay Watcher
  • Crystal blades and Scaled plate, Razors of Dawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 10:20:48 pm »

Why do  Ilove it?
Unlimited. Potential.
I can do. ANYTHING.
ANYTHING.

Kill everybody on the planet? yep. Mod the game so that nothing exists? yep. Create ne races? yep. I think the modding is so easy and accessible that its actually a PART of the gameplay at this point.

In the meantime, I love the freedom... Oh, and the fact that im able to use the physics engine to my advantage.
Scales and fangs, Cydaela and blade, Crystal and fire! March, Kizaurun! March to glory and to vengeance! March for the Razors of Dawn!

blackravenx

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 01:02:05 am »

I just started over with a new fortress.. getting much easier now to play and working on trying to figure out making a Well .. lol but going much better this time than last. Lets say nobody had their swimming trunks on ,so the population dropped some :P lol

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 09:36:04 am »

I've always enjoyed resource management city/world building sims like civ or sim city. Hooked!

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 04:37:52 pm »

I knew DF was a rich experience which is what made me want to really give it a try when I first tried it but what really got me hooked was the first time my saw trap sliced into a goblin. Reading the combat log blew me away. Bits and pieces flying off in an arc, the detail was astounding!

I've been devising more and more elaborate goblin slicing and dicing apparatus' since : )

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 04:45:59 pm »

Things are going great so far got over 48 dwarfs all working away. Love this game but still stuck on some of the workshops and also need to work on organization. I am choking on stone, wood, raw fish lol. Anyone have any good you tube videos on DF that walk you though some basic building tactics etc??? Also any good ideas on putting supply areas in because it seems that most are covering the entire cave floor since I don't think putting them outside is a good idea. Any suggestions or ideas that would be great. Also please let me know how to insert pictures into my posts. Would love to show you my build so you all can help me out.

Hello!

I spend a good hour or so designing the layout of my fort on each new embark. You definiately dont need to devote that kind of time but the more thought you put into things the better it will work.

In general here are some principals to keep in mind:

*Dont designate a large stone/wood stockpile until after the first large migration wave (So you can remove hauling labours from your skilled dwarves so they dont get bogged down with benny-hilling stone around all day)

*Place small stone/wood stockpiles next to mason/carpenter/craftdwarf workshops

*Place small finished goods/furnature stockpiles next to workshops also

*Set those stockpiles to take from and give to the appropriate larger stockpiles so they stay full/empty as desired

*Have large finished goods stockpiles near your trade depot

*Have some space for a dormatory near your meeting hall and also have your food stockpile near these two locations as well

*Use Press 'O' and 'W' to turn off wood hauling (you can disable stone hauling in this menu as well) Just dont forget to turn these back on later

*Keep your dwarves Drunk... they work faster this way : )

Regarding your other question, you can use www.imgur.com to upload images, then use the link to those images as the link for an image tag from the buttons above your post (as you are authoring it)

Hope this is helpful!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:47:42 pm by TurboSlug22 »

Buckley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 07:18:01 pm »

Howdy.  I'm a noob. 

Checked this out back in the spring but I was busy and my eyes rolled back in my head the first time I started trying to get my arms wrapped around this gem...

So, on Sunday I was bored and remembered DF so I thought what the hell... I'll give it a real go.

What day is it now?   :o  Haven't been hooked on a game this crazy in... um... never.

Complexity.  Charm.  Story.  Imagination.  Great mechanics.  The gameplay is just freaking fantastic.  So refreshing.

So, quick story about how the hook got deeper involving some... uh... "fun."

Most of this week I've just been starting games and quitting as I realize how stupid my layout is and how I can set things up more gooder.  So I had this rockin' little start from last night.  Fired it up this morning.  Chugging along... was getting ready to kinda transition from a fully functional starter fort to a more planned/ constructed layout into the depths when all the sudden a goblin invasion shows up.

I hadn't figured out drawbridges yet, so I just tried to block off the entrance with a wall (no military... was just in my first winter)... I was literally one square short of walling off the last section of wall but the gobs beat me to it and slaughtered everyone.  Was hilarious.  Then I read the combat log... how awesome!  Blood and guts and carnage for my poor dorfs.

So anyway.  Ya, I'm hooked.  In fact, ima get back to things now.. getting the shakes....

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 08:28:51 am »

I count myself as NEW, will continue to do so until I've got 100% ;)

(or at least I see that "you win" message come up)

The hook for me was watching Quill18 on Youtube. I heard in whispers about DF, i saw videos occasionally in my youtube feed from other posters and it looked crap - its ASCII and text based? What is this 1982?

However I know realize that the graphics card that marvels at worlds like Skyrim was humbled by the sheer playability of all that is Dwarf Fortress

Ironically, I bought a new monitor prior to playing DF for the first time and although I ground out a few hours of Divinity Original Sin, I turned to DF and it is my current and only gaming drug.

I reckon this could change once Sims4 is released but never have I found a game that is just brilliant.

I am sure I will get bored of it eventually... but i'll ride the Urist magma -powered train until then

Punching Bag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 09:03:56 am »

I've been playing for a few months, but I still feel new. There's so much stuff I need to do that I'll probably keep coming back for ages. I can always think of some barely-needed device that absolutely must be built.

It's also hilarious when something screws up. I accidentally embarked with 55 cats one time and had to butcher them all before they chose their owners.
Pages: 1 [2]