Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, just found something interesting...  (Read 1025 times)

ddenney1211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, just found something interesting...
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:21:02 pm »

Okay, so I'm not particularly new to DF as I have played quite a bit over the years, though I'm only just now getting back into it after a hiatus, but I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them (although I'm can't imagine this is that rare). Here goes... So I just genned a world which I tweaked some params on for custom settings, well I found a great sight that I thought would work for me, temperate environment (water freezes late fall to early spring and is running the rest of the year), a vast amount of wood available, sadly as far as I can see no iron, no aquifer, and all this on the side of a volcanic mountain-slope. Well this isn't particularly that special really, until I decided to use dfhack to use prospect (I wanted to see how much adamantine was available since I've never gotten far enough to use it and was hoping I had a decent amount), well then I use reveal to see where it is located and to get an idea of where the caves are as I was hoping to avoid (though as Armok would have it i hit one lol) But here is were it gets interesting...about 40 z-levels down an roughly only 20-40 squares south of my volcanoes magma pipe I discover another magma pipe that runs parallel with my volcano.

My question is this...is this really rare? Anyone have any ideas how I can really utilize this additional pipe for something really useful? (I have already decided to use the top of it -as it has a few z-lvls above that are open as part of a cave network - as an addition to a prison I am building right next to it with a large hall which i'll room off for some prisoners two rooms for nobles or royals and an artificial floor that goes out above it, which i'm going to add a removable bridge to to drop the worst of the worst off into the magma)

Also any suggestions on how to best work around my problem with no iron?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: So, just found something interesting...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:58:39 pm »

The chances of a magma pipe appearing increases with the tile's volcanism, so one appearing right next to a volcano (which requires very high volcanism) can't be too bad. I think I've seen it before a couple of times.

Iron can be obtained in the form of goblinite, as in, when goblin arrive, slaughter them and take their stuff. They will frequently carry iron gear, and this can be used to make steel.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 11:00:05 pm »

Okay, so I'm not particularly new to DF as I have played quite a bit over the years, though I'm only just now getting back into it after a hiatus, but I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them (although I'm can't imagine this is that rare). Here goes... So I just genned a world which I tweaked some params on for custom settings, well I found a great sight that I thought would work for me, temperate environment (water freezes late fall to early spring and is running the rest of the year), a vast amount of wood available, sadly as far as I can see no iron, no aquifer, and all this on the side of a volcanic mountain-slope. Well this isn't particularly that special really, until I decided to use dfhack to use prospect (I wanted to see how much adamantine was available since I've never gotten far enough to use it and was hoping I had a decent amount), well then I use reveal to see where it is located and to get an idea of where the caves are as I was hoping to avoid (though as Armok would have it i hit one lol) But here is were it gets interesting...about 40 z-levels down an roughly only 20-40 squares south of my volcanoes magma pipe I discover another magma pipe that runs parallel with my volcano.

My question is this...is this really rare? Anyone have any ideas how I can really utilize this additional pipe for something really useful? (I have already decided to use the top of it -as it has a few z-lvls above that are open as part of a cave network - as an addition to a prison I am building right next to it with a large hall which i'll room off for some prisoners two rooms for nobles or royals and an artificial floor that goes out above it, which i'm going to add a removable bridge to to drop the worst of the worst off into the magma)

Also any suggestions on how to best work around my problem with no iron?

No iron? One word, goblinite. Though sieges are kind of borked atm and rather small.

You can also trade the humans spiked balls (wood or green glass) for iron stuff to melt down. If the mountainhome has iron ores, you can request them from there.

Edit: ninja'd

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 12:55:14 am »

when the liaison comes, tell him you will pay top dollar for any iron ore, and also for iron bars, steel bars, and pig iron bars.

Dwimenor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 02:35:21 am »

when the liaison comes, tell him you will pay top dollar for any iron ore, and also for iron bars, steel bars, and pig iron bars.
And iron anvils, iron crafts, iron weapons and armor and iron furniture (and if you are into it, request steel items as well).

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 02:36:35 am »

Not to mention iron & steel crafts, armor, weapons, anvils,  earrings, flasks, toys, bolts, pillows, instruments, pots, pans, kitchen knives, and any other ferrous metal items the caravan can bring. If it'll stick to a magnet, buy it. Buy it all and melt it down.

Set up stockpiles near your magma smelters that will take the iron armor and one to take iron & steel finished goods (and whatever other crap you want to melt). Have them take from any similar stockpiles you have that aren't limited to just the iron and steel. So from the depot, the stuff gets taken to your general finished good pile that is closest to the depot. Then Urist notices that this iron crown (masterfully decorated with silmarils) can also be taken to the stockpile that takes from the general stockpile, so he then takes it down near the smelters, where it is melted down.

You can either mark stuff for melting immediately after you are done trading by using 't' to look at the objects in the depot and scrolling down and hitting 'm' as you get to each one you want to melt. This gets tedious though, since there is usually a lot of stuff in the depot at that point. You can also wait until the stuff gets to the "stuff to be melted" stockpiles and use d-b-m to mass mark it for melting.

Then just have each smelter have a permanent "melt object/R" rep[eating order. As your manager assigns other smelting jobs, the melt order will stay on each smelter and cycle its way around the list, so your smelter will spend 10% of the time melting stuff. If that's not enough to keep on top of the incoming iron ore wonderful iron stuff from the Mountainhome, just add another repeating melt order to each smelter.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 03:10:09 am »

From what I have seen, it is somewhat common to have a second or third magma pipe close to a volcano. Volcanoes occur in areas with massively high levels of vulcanism so multiple magma features isn't that unusual, at least in my experience. Neat embark area though.

Generally I have found volcano embarks to have highly interesting and unusual underground features. I wouldn't be surprised if you found huge candy spires in that area as well as complex deep cavern systems. It's one of the reasons I love volcano embarks. The underground is so unusual.

If you are fond of volcano embarks and want some worlds that have interesting ones let me know. I always have some world's kicking around that fit the bill. My current embark is a volcano next to a brook, in savage wilderness with necromancer neighbors and all the makings for a world class metal industry.