Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Programs/things I can stop in the background to increase FPS?  (Read 762 times)

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Programs/things I can stop in the background to increase FPS?
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:58:05 pm »

I'm not very tech-savy, so besides looking at the lower right task bar (windows) and closing steam, I'm not sure what else I can turn off to increase FPS in Dwarf Fortress. I heard someone mention disabling WLAN and audio? How do I do this?

Any other behind the scenes tips for raising FPS are much appreciated.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Programs/things I can stop in the background to increase FPS?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 04:06:03 pm »

If you have a multi-core PC, the OS should handle most things by keeping DF confined to a single core, and everything else confined to every other core.
Managing FPS is best done (usually) within the game itself, by limiting things like embark and world size, population, the number of items lying around, and modding out birds.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 04:07:40 pm »

Does world size have a noticeable effect on FPS, or just save times?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 04:10:24 pm »

Both. With the latest update, the world is now simulated in the background of your fortress. Larger worlds lead to more stuff to simulate, more stuff to simulate leads to lower FPS.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

clownwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 04:36:52 pm »

Masterwork mod includes the Large Address Aware utility.

I'm not really sure if it works, but you can download it (mod or just the utility) and apply it your DF14 executable.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 06:49:55 pm »

What is the Large Address Aware utility? Care to link it?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 07:08:37 pm »

Seems to me like having Youtube and other flash heavy sites running in the background can be a FPS drain...
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 12:44:32 am »

You can always set dwarf fortress to a higher priority than normal, it will create a small fps boost. As well as setting the GFPS cap to 25-30 instead of 50. Watch your open spaces, dwarves will have pathing issues on especially wide halls.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.