Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wanted: control over how many dorfs to start up the advanced features  (Read 657 times)

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a really good thing that the dorf number cap works now, to try to keep lag in the at-least-playable range.  More to the point, I just don't have any good idea what to DO with 80 dorfs, trying to control that many just seems like work.  But... I'd like us to be able to activate all the features when we want, without going up to that arbitrary number.  It wouldn't have to be in-game, it could be in d_init right next to the maximum number.

I mean sure, I suppose you could turn it up, try to choke through the lag until 3, 4, 5 waves of migrant trip the switch, then dump them all down a hole, but that would be a long long lot of lag to deal with.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: control over how many dorfs to start up the advanced features
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 02:17:49 pm »

Dorf and Dumb,

You can do this if you go into the raw>objects>entity_default.txt file and scroll down to [LAND_HOLDER_TRIGGER] (under the entry for [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]).  You can adjust all three of these values (the default is 20 dwarves), in addition to how much created and exported wealth you need.

-Dame de la Licorne
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:19:56 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 07:10:29 pm »

Thanks for the tip.  I see there's a REQUIRED_POP parameter for the mayor and captain of the guard which is set to 50 by default.  To be clear -- if you have 80 dorfs does the economy start up in this version?  I saw it in one of the configuration files...

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 03:30:55 am »

Dorf and Dumb,

The economy was broken in the 2D versions, to the extent that it was removed as part of the switch to 3D (though there are remnants here and there).  ToadyOne and ThreeToe intend to reimplement it in working form eventually, but for now it's gone.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 02:44:02 pm »

Somebody ought to fix the configuration file and say 20 is the default, 50 is set for those two offices in that file.  Think of how many poor newbies must be trying to control 80 dorfs thinking something neat is gonna happen.