Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: At what FPS do you call it quits?  (Read 1313 times)

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
At what FPS do you call it quits?
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:45:21 pm »

I did a silly thing... I embarked with 5 female and 1 male of turkeys, peafowl, ducks, geese and chickens to create a thriving leather industry. I locked them in a 20x20 room with 40 nest boxes and then totally forgot about them.

After 3 generations of breeding my FPS is down to 11. I've assigned all the hatchlings to slaughter and all 18 dwarves to butchery but it is just... taking.... forever....

I think if I recreate the universe I'll probably save myself a lot of time overall but I have some useful immigrants (including a vampire legendary+1 armourer) that I don't want to loose.

Is 11 FPS playable?
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: At what FPS do you call it quits?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:47:04 pm »

If you have the patience to putt up with it, then yes.  I can't tolerate below 15 or so,myself.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:16:15 pm »

Depends on how much I can mitigate.  For most situations, I can usually tough it out if there's a viable solution.

In your case, I think your best bet is to try to get a dwarf in there with a cage and run clean up.  It's a lot faster to round up and cage than it is to butcher.

Turn on seasonal auto-save, get a cage set up, put everyone on chick chasing duty, and walk away.  It'll only go so long as until the next season, and you won't have to sit there agonizing over it.

You can do the same with butchery too, but I'd go for caging so you can save some until adults; plus you don't need multiple butcher stations to pull that off.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:20:21 pm »

My last siege had me crawling at 15 FPS while I finished readying traps.  When I opened my door to gree them my FPS dropped to 8, but recovered  afterwards.

To be honest, 8FPS was almost too fast for that fight...

//Torrenal
Cool!  Look at how the bones scatter, that trap sure hits them hard :)

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:36:07 am »

I forgot about cages. That's a fantastic idea! Rather than creating my own leather, it's probably more efficient overall to expand my farms a bit, cook mountains of food and use that to buy out the cloth and leather from the caravans.
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

Ai Shizuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 04:47:18 am »

I've not played a fort for more than 7-8 years in a long while, with fps always at 100.

30 fps is the lowest I managed to tolerate in the past.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 06:01:20 am »

Cages is indeed a great solution.

Heads-up:  Dont build 1 cage and use it as your quantum chick pile.  Use a minimum of 3-4.  Reason being its the cage generates the jobs, not the animals.  So if you assign 40 chicks to 1 cage you get 1 dwarf who takes a month to wade about grabbing each little fuzzball.  3-4 cages results in 3-4 dwarves.  At the fps you get right after a hatching this makes a big deal.  (lol, they always hatch together, its a conspiracy by the avian population to eat your fps)

Anecdotal:  I've seen a dwarf assigned to gather a big flock of chicks into a cage disturb nesting mothers and cause them to move off a nestbox.  Possibly the targetted chick stepped onto it too bringing the dwarf into the tile.

11 fps is not really longterm viable unless you already got a lot of what you wanted done.  When it slows up that much then digging stuff out takes forever, even with a bunch of legends.  Takes a long real time for me to get an ingame year done too.  Im taking steps by 25 and 20 is a point at which it becomes 'fix at all costs', 15 is dead.

I prefer it to farming and trading for leather.  Once you get a routine of caging chicks until they mature then it feeds you, gives you your leather and leaves bone for decorating (yay, my favorite fix ever).  That said buying leather bins is easy, its cheap as chips and trading for it is totally viable.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:07:37 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 08:26:46 am »

When I first started playing, I used to abandon my forts when they dropped below 60 or so fps.

Now, though, I believe I am comfortable with forts in the 20 or 30 range, and usually only abandon when the save gets corrupted, or I want to learn/try something new.

As for the bird problem, I agree with the multiple cage solution. 

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 08:53:21 am »

(lol, they always hatch together, its a conspiracy by the avian population to eat your fps)

You can make them hatch in smaller groups, but you have to micro the door controll. Typically not worth it if you're on top of having cages built and ready to accept the brood.  Spending 5 minutes battling chicks to keep your FPS in order isn't such a big deal.

That said, if you staggered locking the doors of your breeders, the chicks would stagger out by the same delta t.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 10:20:38 am »

Honestly can't tolerate FPS below 100 outside of sieges anymore.

I have my calculation FPS cap set to 300 at the moment, and it's really hard to go back to old speeds once you're used to stone getting hauled in a reasonable amount of time.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT