Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crutches question. My Champion is missing his foot.  (Read 1678 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Crutches question. My Champion is missing his foot.
« on: August 14, 2014, 08:39:51 pm »

My poor champion has come down with a bad case of missing foot. I believe the foot was eaten by the enemy... He was just in a battle with a Forgotten Beast (it boiled a huge number of wardogs, before it finally was killed with hammers, such a pity we can't eat the broiled dog meat that must have produced...) so... I don't think he's getting that foot back.

He's asleep in the hospital right now, and I have a rather large number of crutches. As soon as my lazy bastard Chief Medical Dwarf, or one of the four other dwarves with Diagnosis (thankyou, migration), get around to doing something like diagnosing his lack of foot... I'm hoping he'll start using one of the (fifty odd?) crutches lying about the hospital and the rest of the fort.

...well, that's the plan, anyhow.

I've never successfully managed to get a leg-injured dwarf to actually USE a crutch. They make great trade goods, though. I always have a nice pile of them in the medical bay, of various materials, including various woods and metals. Do I need to assign him one somehow? I've read and reread the wiki, and so far found no information on how to make him use one.

How do I make a dwarf become a crutch walker?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crutches question. My Champion is missing his foot.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:51:24 pm »

One down.  Now you just need to repeat this with 9 more dwarves, and you'll have a special forces unit ready :)

Dwarven "Special" Forces

I believe they address the question of equipping crutches by having them as part of the uniform.

//Torrenal

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:22:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's automatic. After he gets diagnosed, the last thing on the list of treatments will be "Needs Crutch" and it will be brought to him automatically. At least that's what happened with my guy when he broke his hip. He'll be almost as fast or as fast as other dwarves when he becomes a legendary crutch walker but might never lose that annoying flashing white thing that says he's injured

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 10:53:56 pm »

I have another hospital related question that i'll tag onto this thread if the OP doesn't mind. For some reason my medical dwarves are treating injured dwarves where they land, so my doctor is running onto a battlefield with a bucket of water and soap, stitching them and setting bones ontop of goblin corpses rather than recovering them back to the Hospital. I have a hospital zone designated with beds, tables next to the beds, traction benches etc. Anything i may be doing wrong or is this a bug with the current version?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 11:03:46 pm »

Interesting. I guess this Champion is getting into the military then. I'll choose a nice heavy steel crutch for him.

I have no trouble getting the injured parties to the hospital: My problem is then getting the medical dorfs to do something when there is an injured dorf in there waiting in a bed, flashing pathetically. I can wait several seasons, even years, for a diagnosis. I've taken to putting a well in the hospital, to make it easy for them to be watered, because they're in for a long long wait.

Do you have enough beds in your hospital? I find it's not the medics who transport my injured dorfs to the hospital, by the way, I usually find farmers have done that. And I always have an excess of available beds in the hospital, and tables, just in case of disaster...
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 11:11:43 pm »

Interesting. I guess this Champion is getting into the military then. I'll choose a nice heavy steel crutch for him.

I have no trouble getting the injured parties to the hospital: My problem is then getting the medical dorfs to do something when there is an injured dorf in there waiting in a bed, flashing pathetically. I can wait several seasons, even years, for a diagnosis. I've taken to putting a well in the hospital, to make it easy for them to be watered, because they're in for a long long wait.

Do you have enough beds in your hospital? I find it's not the medics who transport my injured dorfs to the hospital, by the way, I usually find farmers have done that. And I always have an excess of available beds in the hospital, and tables, just in case of disaster...

Yes got 10 beds, none of which are being used inside the hospital zone. All my dwarves have recover wounded labor enabled too but i cannot see the job on the jobs list.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 11:16:40 pm »

For an untreated dwarf sitting in a bed and not receiving help, you might try dismantling the bed, and see if anything interesting happens (wanders off for water, taken to a new bed and treated, etc...)

Did that for my Baron (very nice one btw, mandates crossbows) who spent a few months in bed over a crushed toe that needed cleaning.  Toe was promptly cleaned and the Baron was finally meeting with the human Liaison.
//Torrenal

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 06:26:36 am »

I have another hospital related question that i'll tag onto this thread if the OP doesn't mind. For some reason my medical dwarves are treating injured dwarves where they land, so my doctor is running onto a battlefield with a bucket of water and soap, stitching them and setting bones ontop of goblin corpses rather than recovering them back to the Hospital. I have a hospital zone designated with beds, tables next to the beds, traction benches etc. Anything i may be doing wrong or is this a bug with the current version?

I think this is a random bug in the new version. Had a cave-in with three injured dwarves outside my front gate. All three were fully treated on the spot they fell. Fully staffed/equipped hospital inside the fort. The next time there was an accident, the injured were hauled to a hospital bed.

AFAIR Even if all the beds in your hospital are being used, injured dwarves will be hauled to their owned bed.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 07:21:44 am »

Well, a random migrant with medical diagnosis came and visited my champion, evaluated twice in a row really fast, gave the Champion a willow crutch, and promptly wandered off for a meal. I sure hope they feed that migrant well. The Chief Medical Dorf is still uninterested, but the Champion is now hobbling about cheerfully. He's on break, and using the time on break to practice crutch walking, excellent. Looks like it's a happy ending for this one.

...I had been wondering why his foot didn't bleed out, but I guess the foot was burned off by the same breath weapon that broiled the dogs. He also, I discovered, has a large scar over one eyelid. He must look a fright.

More disturbing: I just found a duck with no legs after a treesplosion. Do medics heal animals? I guess I'm going to find out.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 07:56:49 am »

Well, a random migrant with medical diagnosis came and visited my champion, evaluated twice in a row really fast, gave the Champion a willow crutch, and promptly wandered off for a meal. I sure hope they feed that migrant well. The Chief Medical Dorf is still uninterested, but the Champion is now hobbling about cheerfully. He's on break, and using the time on break to practice crutch walking, excellent. Looks like it's a happy ending for this one.

...I had been wondering why his foot didn't bleed out, but I guess the foot was burned off by the same breath weapon that broiled the dogs. He also, I discovered, has a large scar over one eyelid. He must look a fright.

More disturbing: I just found a duck with no legs after a treesplosion. Do medics heal animals? I guess I'm going to find out.

Bleeding out rarely, if ever, happens from severed limbs, at least in my experience. I believe once the limb is gone its vascular tissue is ignored, and damage to vascular tissue is what causes bleeding.

Medics do not heal animals. Theoretically that should fall under Animal Caretaker, but I think that's still on Toady's to-do list. So enjoy your +duck meat roast+.

Jorn Stones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 09:06:58 am »

Here's a quick note on crutches, from what I have found, as long as a dwarf can use one of his two legs to walk, he'll get a crutch. if he cannot walk with either, he does't get crutches, because even with the crutches he still can't walk. That is ofcourse, if theyve been through hospital and you actually had crutches there.

And feel free to replace your medical dwarf with someone more symphatetic and helpful

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 11:03:10 am »

Do you make your Chief medical dwarf a dedicated doctor? I disable all other activities on mine once we get enough dwarfs. then he doesn't get distracted by hauling.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's automatic. After he gets diagnosed, the last thing on the list of treatments will be "Needs Crutch" and it will be brought to him automatically. At least that's what happened with my guy when he broke his hip. He'll be almost as fast or as fast as other dwarves when he becomes a legendary crutch walker but might never lose that annoying flashing white thing that says he's injured

This. It is automatic but it takes a really long time sometimes as diagnosis sometimes takes  4 or 5  assessment sessions to work out what they need, even if it's as obvious as a missing bodypart. they will get a crutch in the end it always happens in my game after long enough. The crutch is always the last thing given after sutures and splints so make sure absolutely everything else on the dwarf has healed or been seen to.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."