Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jumping in fear?  (Read 1593 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Jumping in fear?
« on: August 14, 2014, 01:26:26 am »

I noticed a Jaguar that wandered close to my fort became "Overcome by terror!" when it saw multiple dwarves, and even though it was on flat ground and far away from anyone it decided to jump (become a blue background projectile).

Anyone else seen this on animals or sentients?

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
Re: Jumping in fear?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:00:09 am »

Hey UdV,

Yeah, I've seen similar. I just (finally) defeated a small undead siege. Some ostriches wandered on to my map and then spent a load of time in terror running from the (dead) corpses. Similarly my dwarves coming to clear up the bodies are sometimes overcome by terror. One dwarf won't plant seeds at an outdoor farm because there's a rotten elf corpse stuck on the wall...

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 08:59:15 am »

But did you see them jumping?

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:46:14 am »

yeah, creatures seem to gain parkour powers when panicking... :P

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 09:52:27 am »

I saw a dwarven child do this when a ghost was chasing him around.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 10:36:45 am »

I had an invasion recently, and I hid all my dwarves in a burrow.  However one of my cows was left outside.  One of the invaders attacked it, panicked at the sight of blood, and then jumped up a tree.  Poor invader couldn't seem to get down afterwards though, so she was stuck in a tree for 3 seasons.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 10:47:47 am »

I had a badass miner jump towards the elf bandits she was ordered to attack. That's enthusiasm right there.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 10:56:28 am »

My dorfs tend to turn into coked-up monkeys when they're scared.  They like to climb straight up trees and then jump off the tops.

Had one dorf do that while carrying a baby.  She dropped it on the way down and landed on it.  That's parenting dwarven style right there.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 08:49:22 pm »

..., and then jumped up a tree.  Poor invader couldn't seem to get down afterwards though, so she was stuck in a tree for 3 seasons.   :P

You can't jump UP. The invader merely climbed.

I had a badass miner jump towards the elf bandits she was ordered to attack. That's enthusiasm right there.

Very interesting. Where was the miner positioned in relation to the bandits?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 09:18:49 pm »

Very interesting. Where was the miner positioned in relation to the bandits?
The first time, she had to walk over a ramp, in an area that was otherwise wide open flat ground, to get to the bandits, who were about 4 tiles away when she jumped. Still on the same zlevel, no height advantage, and wasn't moving in the direction to actually use the ramp as a ramp. As far as I could see she just did it because she wanted to. She could've just as easily walked (or sprinted, as it seems all combatants do now) to the bandits.

Then, during a second bandit attack, in an even more wide open expanse of ground clear of any ramps, I saw a second and completely different miner perform a similar jump towards bandits. So I don't think the ramp had any influence on the first miner's decision to jump.

I've since then lost the save, and this is all just what I remember of the events. Can't go into any finer science-y details like what personalities they had or what traits they had in common that could explain why they jumped. As far as I could see they just randomly decided that jumping towards the enemy was the best way to get to the action.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 07:34:43 am »

I've had a dorf climb or jump of the way of an alligator, and end up two z levels up in the air, standing in a place on the edge of a cliff where he could move exactly nowhere. He remained up there, and died of blood loss before his mates could get him down.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Mardukker

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with tetrahedric spikes of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 08:18:34 am »

Yeah, I once had a dorf jump out of fear when a werebeast visited the entrance to the fortress. The bad thing is that he jumped down my pit and almost fell to his death, good thing I hadn't finished it yet and he only suffered wounds.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 09:05:50 am »

Crundles jump around when being hunted(on flat ground they mostly jump away from the hunters), so I assume it's part of the 'panicked flight' code.