Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Puppy Pitting Peculiarity  (Read 798 times)

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Puppy Pitting Peculiarity
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:59:45 am »

I noticed two odd things about pitting all those extra puppies that were slowing my FPS...

First, the dorfs were able to pit the puppies after a bridge had been built on top of the pit.  I'd intended to link it to a lever and use it as a cap to make sure nothing flew into my drop shaft, but at least the puppies don't care.

Second, the puppies always start as upper body, lower body, neck, head, right front leg, left front leg, right front paw, left front paw, right rear leg, left rear leg, right rear paw, left rear paw, tail.  But on arrival they always end up as neck, right front leg, left front leg, right rear leg, left rear leg, tail, mutilated corpse.  I even looked in creature_domestic.txt but it's less than obvious -- where do the other bits go?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy Pitting Peculiarity
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 12:03:37 pm »

If an limb with another body part on the end gets cut off, it is referred to as the limb closer to the body. For example, if you cut off an arm, it is referred to as an arm, not an upper arm, a lower arm and a hand. But all those body parts are missing from your victim. Of course, this leads to decapitation-produced severed body parts as the neck, despite the fact that it also contains the head. Which doesn't make much sense.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy Pitting Peculiarity
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 12:18:05 pm »

Did your pit zone originally include at least one walkable tile? I don't have a fort open right now, but I'm pretty sure a proper pit's parts are a walkable tile and an adjacent hole, optionally with a hatch on top.