Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Indoor farms outdoors?  (Read 619 times)

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Indoor farms outdoors?
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:17:30 am »

Quick question, if anyone knows the answer?

If i mine into a hill, say in a 10x10 on the side - I get a 10x10 soil floor which if I farm on will farm as indoor cave plants.
... but it isn't inside, it is outside

So the question is, if I continue to farm on this ground and never let grass grow on it, will the game let me farm inside plants outside?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor farms outdoors?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:53:26 am »

If i mine into a hill, say in a 10x10 on the side - I get a 10x10 soil floor which if I farm on will farm as indoor cave plants.
... but it isn't inside, it is outside
Why do you say "it is outside"?  Does the game actually use the word "Outside" when you look at the tile?

So the question is, if I continue to farm on this ground and never let grass grow on it, will the game let me farm inside plants outside?

If you actually dug into the side of a hill, and there has always been a natural stone/soil wall above the tile in question, then the tile should continue to be considered "underground", and you would grow underground crops there.

However, if you remove the walls/floors above the tile and expose it to light, then the tile is marked as "Above ground" forever and ever, even if you build new walls/floors over it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:50:41 am »

In other words, the distinction between "inside" and "outside" is entirely vertical. It doesn't matter if there are no walls - it's only the roof that's important.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

stinkasectomy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 04:42:09 am »

to the point that if you channel 100 z levels down, it will still be considered above ground, even if its past several cavern layers

wlmartin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 07:39:10 am »

So to that effect, if i wanted to run a bee hive and created a skylight going up 10 levels as a clear shaft up, would that class the tile as outside?

Would this method also work for creating open-air corridors to avoid cave-adaption?
(my thoughts are... main corridor that is Z-0, Z-1/Z-2 are just a hill. I channel out an open space area and then on the top I will just wall it off completely. End result will be a walled off skylight that should create some refreshing sunlight

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:50:45 am »

Yes that works for dodging cave adaptation, I used to skylight the meeting hall but flier defenses is a fun point to consider.  Easier just have a surface statue garden as meeting and then a proper indoor dining room for eating than cutting deep skylights.

Bees ought to work too though cant say i've done that.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 08:53:18 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.